Find
Notify
Tools

Warning Air France
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I brought back to France my 404 Jeffery this last Thursday and was the victim of a bureaucratic hitch which has never come up before. Air France requires that you inform them 48 hours prior to a flight for firearms and ammunition, which I have always done and did the same for this trip. I declared the rifle (they need a description of the rifle, the caliber, the size of the rifle case and the total weight) and one box of Hornady 404 Jeffery (they need a description of the ammunition, how it is packed, total weight, caliber). The day before the flight I called and was told that it had been approved.

But when I got to check-in at Dulles I was told that the rifle was approved but not the ammunition. Since I was first in line at check-in I decided to take my time and made a very firm objection to the lack of "approval" for the ammunition, reminding them that for me to abandon it in the airport might not be well received by TSA.

Several low-level, and then high-level Air France staff made visits to the registration desk, all to no avail. They really wanted to resolve the problem, admitting that "Paris" had probably forgot to check off both during the approval, but since it was around 1 AM in Paris there was nothing they could do. Bottom line, they would not allow the ammunition on the plane so I had to leave it. Luckily for me I have a friend who lives near Dulles who picked it up. To add to the general consternation (and a whole lot of people in line behind me who must now want air travel with firearms to be banned) Air France had no forms for declaring that the firearm is not loaded, which is required at the TSA inspection which follows check-in. So, TSA opens the case, asks for the declaration, I say I don't have one since Air France is out of stock, and back to check-in we go, with TSA in tow. When the Air France counter people saw me coming back with TSA I could tell that they were wondering how they had screwed-up this time. TSA made them declare that they were satisfied that the firearm was not loaded.

So, there are two morals to the story: 1) when you travel with Air France, make sure BOTH your ammunition and your rifle have been "approved" at least two days before your flight, allowing time to get the approval in the event somebody in "Paris" wasn't diligent, 2) be first in line at check in.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 Don't fly air france.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Except tha KLM isn't any better, British is worse and if you fly United bring your own food. I guess 4 is stay at home.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well Wink, just focus on the wonderful .404 you took home and the wonderful life you have made for yourself and you'll be fine!

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I shot it yesterday and am VERY HAPPY since it also shoots just great. My Barnes TSX softs and banded solids into the same group. It also has its first nicks on the stock, but when it goes hunting it'll get even more I'm sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Air travel today is about as much fun as a root canal and a colonoscopy at the same time...without anything for pain! BOOM

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles Wink. The beaucrats @ AF strike agai!
I do this dance with them ~5-8 times per year. The trick i have learned! Apart from flying with someone else, is Get it In writing! When i book my ticket, call the Customer Service phone number, or better yet your trvale agent, and get that Both are reserved/booked, In Writing, prefereably in the record locator. Then Print a copy, or two, and at each questiom show said paper. They're beaucrats, and if someome higher than them has "stamped" it, it must be ok... Works every time

Orvar

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I only fly to Africa one or two times per year I know that I cannot keep up with all the regs and changes in regs that are constantly taking place.For this reason I trust a professional,Steve Turner, who deals with these issues daily.

I flew Air France a couple years ago and Steve Had all my paperwork in order and it went off without a hitch. The airline service was about as good as I have ever experienced.

As to the TSA, They have much more power than commen sense. As such, I just smile and offer my help in any way that I can, Play dumb when it seems a good strategy. Only take the agressive route if all other options fail.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Members may recall my report of a few weeks ago that, when I checked in 11 August for KLM's flight to Joburg via Amsterdam, the Air France staff that handles KLM at Dulles, would not let me take the ammo, arguing KLM had not explicitly approved it.

The Air France lead agent erred as KLM only requires notification/reservation as opposed to Air France itself that requires their explicit agreement. However, Wink got that agreement, but it (apparently) never made it onto the record. That's an Air France mistake and worthy of a complaint.

As I have learned, you complain to Delta as leader of the Sky Team bunch of airlines. I mailed Delta a copy of my letter of complaint addressed to the CEO of KLM, with copy to the CEO of Air France. (Both KLM and Air France have electronic complaint forms that enabled me to attach a file, so I attached my letter.)
I also sent the FAA and Dulles Airport authority copies of the complaint that argues, i.a., that partner airlines in such a major hub need to know what the various regulations are if they are checking pax in.

Just Got a reply back from Delta with apologies and a $150 Delta voucher.,,,,,,,,,

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote