Find
Notify
Tools

Contender for worst Airline
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
We have a new challenger for the World's worst run Airline.

Southwest

50% of all flights canceled around the world today were Southwest flights, as the airline collapsed under strain historic winter storm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sou...turns-233710920.html

By Monday night, the airports seeing the most cancellations included Denver, Las Vegas, Chicago Midway, and Dallas Love Field, where Southwest is headquartered.

Southwest canceled the most flights of any other airline based in the US on Monday, trailed by Delta, which canceled 262 flights, according to FlightAware. United canceled 133 flights. American Airlines canceled only 12 flights, though it recorded 792 delays, accounting for nearly a quarter of all flight delays worldwide on Monday.

One of every two flights canceled worldwide was a Southwest flight, as the airline's network collapsed under the strain of the winter storm.

The cancellations led to chaotic scenes at airports across the country.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
That’s impossible. Saeed says repeatedly that BA is the worst… coffee

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
That’s impossible. Saeed says repeatedly that BA is the worst… coffee

And I think Saeed is right. For what they do, Southwest is actually pretty damn good. They don’t control the weather.

Posts: 3909 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Weather is uncontrollable.

Cannot blame the airline for bad weather.

Bloody Awful Airlines make a habit of being bad.

Was run by an utter idiot, who has been promoted to be in charge of IATA!

Now what does that tell you! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks please come to your senses! All this chaos is the result of a hundred year winter storm over most of the country! It happened during a holiday when travel was at a peak. Be forever thankful that the news isn’t that a crash left several hundred people dead! Luke

Posts: 363 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
There was a time when Southwest was considered a model for other domestic US airlines.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
In the past 36 years, I've been on exactly one (1) Southwest flight that was not late.

Posts: 773 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If your flight was cancelled by Southwest they will not rebook you until after new year. You're stuck where you are or you find another way home.

https://www.yahoo.com/money/so...anded-031926294.html

Mon, December 26, 2022 at 9:19 PM CST

If you are a stranded Southwest customer trying to get home after visiting family for the holidays, we sincerely hope you like your family — you may be forced to stay with them a bit longer.

Stranded Southwest customers can't rebook their flights until after December 31, according to a Southwest Airlines official who spoke to the press at Hobby International Airport on Monday.

This is a blow to customers who have been waiting to reach their final destination since late last week.

Customers who already have a confirmed rebooking will not be affected by this

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigluke:
Folks please come to your senses! All this chaos is the result of a hundred year winter storm over most of the country! It happened during a holiday when travel was at a peak. Be forever thankful that the news isn’t that a crash left several hundred people dead! Luke

Why didn't the storm affect all the other airlines equally?

70% of all the Southwest flights were cancelled yesterday and they plan to fly only one third of their scheduled flights for the rest of the year.

By comparison, Delta had canceled 9% of its mainline flights on Monday while United canceled 5%. American cut less than 1% of its flights, mostly tied to an airport closure in Buffalo after a winter storm.

At first, the airline blamed the week's travel chaos only on the weather after an arctic blast caused low temperatures, strong winds, and snow across the country.

Southwest said it would reimburse "reasonable" requests like meals, hotel stays, or other transportation.

Southwest Airlines says a "scheduling issue" was partially to blame for the airline's holiday meltdown, sparking thousands of canceled flights and leaving customers stranded in airports across the country.

In a statement to Insider, the airline said a problem with its scheduling tools is partially to blame for the chaos.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
All the airlines were impacted. However, Southwest was a regional airline that has branched out. Their systems haven't grown to match. So they are slower to recover and are struggling with just the logistics of getting everything reset.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Did any of you expect better service in transport when the man in charge is called Butt? clap

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bloody hell!

Talk about incompetence! clap

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I gave Southwest a pass due to the huge storm, but they’ve really screwed the pooch on recovering from it. It’s surprising that such a well run company can handle a problem as poorly as they have done here. I’ve got a flight coming up in less than 2 weeks and am glad it’s on American Airlines and going somewhere warm and sunny.

Posts: 3909 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hundred year storm? comeonman.

this was an everyday winter occurrence till this century when everyone forgot about the 1900's.

this whole thing is because S.W. can't schedule their personnel worth a shit.
except for that part that saves them every nickel possible moving them around to meet the JIT scheduling.
their planes weren't moving because they had nobody there to move them.
the people they did have there in the airport were waiting to fly somewhere else to fly something else, and were stranded too.

back on my old job this was known as an unfuckable clusterfuck.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
This sort of thing is not the fault of the airlines. It’s caused by global warming, I mean climate change.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
friend lamar:THANKS FOR SUCH AN INTELLIGENT REPONSE! I am still happy that we arent mourning a plane crash. If this is the worst thing that happens to those who were stranded then they are lucky folks indeed. luke

Posts: 363 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I NEVER fly Southwest.. No business class and first come, first serve bullshit = cheap service on cheap airline...

These cancellations were not due to the weather or safety - piss poor management..

Get what you pay for..

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Voices From The Line: Larry Lonero
What happened to Southwest Airlines?

http://www.tigerboard.com/boar...php?message=18468272

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why didn't the storm affect all the other airlines equally

We have our own shit show with Sunwing. Wink

https://globalnews.ca/news/938...land-patriots-plane/

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1672 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not fly like I used to do but when I did, I’d usually try to fly Southwest. I did not like United and American. It seemed like I always had issues. I guess times have changed.

I guess I’ll consider switching to Delta, when possible.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote