New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAP 520 Form
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will need to spend a few days in SA before my hunt in Mozambique. Do I need to fill out the SAP 520 form? What other forms or ID do need to avoid problems at the airport.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are traveling with firearms you will need to complete the SAP 520. Be sure you have the US customs form 4457 which shows proof that you purchased the firearm and other valuables in the US. You will also need to show airline tickets and usually a invitation and information letters from the outfitter. But since you are going to Moz I am not sure about those letters maybe someone with more experience on that can inform you.

There are also some firms that help with the firearms process like Air2000.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Donato,

You will need an invite letter from your outfitter in Mozambique. My advise would be to enlist one of the meet/greet/gun permit services. Have them meet your flight, hold your guns while you are in RSA and then help you with checking back in for the Mozambique flight. They also will meet you on the other end and assist you there also.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good advice.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert but I think you specifically need the "In Transit" SAPS permit.

Riflepermits.Com got one for me and it was easy enough but I failed to arrange in advance for them to assist on the return leg. I managed to muddle though with some local assistance on my way back.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
It's really not that hard to DIY.

Riflepermits.com has the best guidance/instructions I've found.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have one SAPS 520 experience, and have only one thing to say....Air2000. They, and Maxwell(their guy at OR Tambo), were incredible! I spent less than 5 minutes in the SAPS office, on the way in. On the way out of the country, he hand carried my gun case through the proper channels. Super service, that was worth every penny.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Donato

You will require a permit and will have to fill in the 520 form, follow the link to our website, you will see that we offer various packages regarding meet and greets, http://www.airchartersafrica.com/services.htm or if you would like to give it a go yourself follow the steps below and hand in together with all paperwork when you arrive at the SAPS office.

Kent Safari Services cc can arrange:
 Air charters
 International and domestic scheduled air tickets
 Temporary import firearm permits
 Hotel bookings
 Transfers to and from hotels, guest lodges and major airports
 Sightseeing tours
 Shopping trips
 Diamond buying tours
 Meet and greet service for incoming hunters where you are met with you permit waiting for you

For temporary firearm importation permits you need to supply and courier it to us:

 A copy of the South African Police Service SAPS 520 form (obtainable from our website at www.airchartersafrica.com). You must complete sections E 1 to E 25.4, G, I and J (please don’t forget to sign both sections I and J and submit the full application of 8 pages);
 Please complete the SAPS 520 in black ink, no other colour will be accepted.
 An authorization to Air Charters & Tourism (Pty) to obtain a permit on your behalf in the form of the above form to be completed and signed, giving Air Charters & Tourism (Pty) Ltd permission to obtain your permit in advance;
 An original notarized copy of your passport(photo and signature page ) and the passport must have a minimum of two free pages and a minimum of four months validity after the termination of the hunt.
 An original notarized copy of Proof of ownership of your firearms in the form of
o The US Customs form 4457 OR
o A letter from your local sheriff in the form of an affidavit confirming ownership OR
o An invoice from the gun shop where you purchased the firearms OR
o A copy of your firearms license. Whichever is applicable
 An original notarized copy of Documentary proof of export of the firearms in the form of
o For all US citizens, US Customs form 4457 (one copy is sufficient)
o An original notarized copy of the Proof of Ownership (4457) and passport must be signed and stamped as true copies of the original document by a Public Notary.
o A letter of invitation from your outfitter confirming the dates of your safari, where you are hunting, what species you are hunting and what firearms the outfitter suggests you bring that is applicable to you hunt.

All documentation is to be completed correctly as per above and sent via courier Fedex, DHL or UPS to arrive no later than 30 days prior to arrival:

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any queries.

Regards

Aubrey

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I have the 4457 form and letter from the safari company. I copied the SAP form and will fill it out ahead of time.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote