New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tiger Bay Lodge
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone been to this establishment recently? (On Lake Kariba near Matusadona)? If so, how is it? I have read wildly fluctuating reports on Tripadvisor and none of them recent.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2014, we hunted near there. We rented a boat from the lodge. The boat was in horrible condition. We also hunted the Tiger Bay jess.

As far as I could tell, there were no clients there at that time. It appeared to be in a state of decline.

Having driven on the roads necessary to get there, I can't imagine why anyone would endure that. They are perhaps the worst I have ever seen anywhere in the world.

I understand this was once a fantastic place.

Posts: 11997 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Due to the low lake level the boat from the Ume River camp was moored there. Must have been quite the place in its heyday. Not much now, there was a care taker. He told me the last guest were a year ago. That was in October of 17.
Sign on donkey path said tiger bay this way, better have a beat up truck to take on those roads.

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I remember the camp manager at the Ume camp (Mike) talking about it being rundown in 2011.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stayed there in '15 hunting Omay North. Nice but rundown the chalets where comfortable but no front walls.

Listening to the lions across the bay in Matusadona was interesting ......not having a front door at all. Hippos in the lake as well about 30' off your tiptoes.

Every time you leave your chalet make certain that everything is put up well!!!!!!

Monkeys raided my chalet one day while running baita and ate all my anti malarials, toothpaste, advil and about a pound of gatorade powder!

All in all I would stay there again! It was a bit rundown, but MAN! The place must have been incredible in it's heyday!

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote