THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Apple strudel in Outjo, Namibia

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple strudel in Outjo, Namibia
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was doing a bunch of hunting in Botswana and finished it off with some tiger fishing in the Okavango River.

So far, so good. We had a few extra days so I wanted to visit some old friends in Namibia and for damn sure - stop and have some fantastic apple strudel from the German bakery in Outjo.

The night before, while close to Kamanjab and enjoying kudu bones, my buddy phoned the bakery owner and reserved some apple strudel for the morning. A man who travels 10,000 miles really should have some kind of plan.

They say that .. 'you can never go home.'

I am not sure who 'they' are? But if they are talking about apple strudel at the German bakery in Outjo .. they must have experienced the same disappointment that I experienced that morning. 6.5/10 was my rating.

I wish that I had left it as a beautiful memory from yesteryear. Frowner

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, the first time might be, or have been, fantastic, but in this old world, nothing ever seems to remain the same. . . . Had that same experience with meat pies in Zimbabwe a number of years ago. Couldn't wait to have them again. . .but wait. . . ! Big Grin

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think this is due to the "healthy" food syndrome.

I see it here too with some restaurants where the recipes are changed for YOUR health!

I tell them to STUFF it!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, I believe ownership changed.

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Chuck You’re correct ownership has changed twice in the last few years. They’ve jacked up their prices so high the SPAR store nextdoor stopped stocking their baked goods. When I stopped by there in late July this year, they were “sold out” 30 minutes after opening!

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
They’ve jacked up their prices so high the SPAR store nextdoor stopped stocking their baked goods

Greed will do that every time. One of the down factors in my meat pies experience in Zimbabwe was just that, combined with Zim's incredible hyperinflation at that time. But, in spite of that, the quality of the product had also suffered. thumbdown

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not eaten many meat pies in my life. I do remember breaking down in Zimbabwe (3 of our 4 vehicles went down on the 14 hour drive to Kwe Kwe). The outfitter, Dave Masson, walked over to a nasty looking building and came back with a bag of meat pies.

Absolutely and totally delicious!

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote