One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Don't drink water from an unreliable source. Eat fruit that can be peeled and stay away from food washed by unknown hands (eg in markets).

In fact don't eat anything outside a resort or a camp. Even frozen flavoured water sold from street vendors can carry a bug.

The hunting camp or tourist venue will make sure you eat properly.

Edit: No reason to cancel a hunt. You have more reason to worry about an MVA or mugging on the way to the airport.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still going.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
I'm still going.

Me too.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Me three! The Health dept. nurse who renewed my shots told me the effective treatment for cholera was doxycycline, which I will have along anyway. Watch what you eat and drink, and stay off the wrong side of Harare. Should not be a problem in hunting camp out in the bush.

We are going to overnight in Joberg, instead of Harare this time.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What if you are allergic to Doxycycline?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Then you'd better practise bending over and kissing your arse goodbye. lol

Seriously, I'm sure there are substitutes.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
If you plan on hanging around the slums and drinking suss town water then you might have a concern.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
What if you are allergic to Doxycycline?

Treatment typically focuses primarily on fluid and electrolyte replacement. Lots of water with oral rehydration salts will help a lot although severe cases may require IVs. Another antibiotic, Azithromycin (Zithromax or Zmax) helps shorten diarrhea duration and decrease vomiting with as little as one dose.

In addition to the tetracyclines, Trimethoprim and Sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim or Septra) and chloramphenicol (Chloromycetin) can be used. All of the above are prescription only meds.

As a last resort, furazolidone (Furoxone) can be used. Note that this drug is listed as a known carcinogen and is no longer available in the US.

And, I'm still going in Sept to Chewore - just planning to take precautions.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still booked for the end of June, no worries. Granted one of our party is Dr., and I work in infectious disease so we will be armed with a broad spectrum of meds.

Otherwise, Boil it, cook it, peel it, or forget it.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote