New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms Question - Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be traveling to Africa via Frankfort. Going to Africa I am not staying overnight or getting my baggage as it will be checked through to Windhoek. On way back I will need to overnight. I have not yet recieved a firearms permit and will leave soon. What rules. If the permit does not arrive by time of departure, is there still a way to get the rifles through both ways ? Can anyone advise me on this ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leave soon? Hours, weeks???

The flight out will be fine.

Get the permit for the return or risk the consequences. A permit is required

I obtained mine via email and paid for it (bank transfer) within a couple of weeks, once the new forms were filled out properly.

PM me and I'll find the email address for you in the morning. (not on this computer sorry)

Posts: 177 | Location: Eastern Slopes of the Northern Rockies | Registered: 15 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I was informed that no German permit was needed while in transit through Frankfurt, either way, when firearms are booked through from point of origin and no overnight will occur.

If someone knows otherwise, I would appreciate that info and documentation.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
I was informed that no German permit was needed while in transit through Frankfurt, either way, when firearms are booked through from point of origin and no overnight will occur.

I think he needs it on the way back, as he staying the night.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67361 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as there is a baggage handling agreement between the airlines you are traveling on and the lay-over is less than 24 hrs and you are taking the "next available flight. You should not need any permits from German Customs.

The "next available flight" is a key phrase. I had one check-in agent try to tell me that she couldn't check our stuff "all the way through" because there was an earlier "connecting flight" than we were booked on. I told her she could check them through because there were no seats "available" on the earlier connecting flight when we booked our ticket. She checked us all the way through.

Since you were able to check your luggage all the way through to Windhoek and as long as you are using the same airlines for your return trip, you should be able to check them all that way back to the US. Just need to pack your carry-on with a few things (change of clothes etc.) that you will need for your overnight.

You will have to "claim" all your luggage at your first US "port of entry" and clear US Customs. Once that is done you should be able to just re-check everything onto your final destination connecting flight.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike

--------------------------------------------
I have been through Frankfurt twice in the last 5 years and never needed a permit.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1430 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
The last time through, my friend left the airport with his rifle during the 10 hour layover without out any problems or questions.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1430 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote