New
Find
Notify
Tools

TSA Locks ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Next month I leave for SA to hunt with my 8 Bore. I am flying through the US on this occassaion, Winnipeg, Chicago, Washington to Joberg. What is the regulation on locking my gun case with TSA locks or not? On one previous occassion I flew throuh the US to Europe then on to SA and TSA cut of my locks and placed one tiny lock back on my gun case, claiming they had paged me. I saw the Airline girl walking near my check out with my chopped brass combination lock in her hand, I approached her and was told eveything was OK, now! My rifles had been checked in and cleared by TSA before I stepped on the plane in Winnipeg.

I can't afford and problems with my 8 Bore, and before anyone says anything I am only taking empty 8 Bore brass, my PH is providing primers and Black Powder and I will reload in camp.

Posts: 137 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read recently on the United Airlines web site that TSA locks are not considered adequate for securing gun cases. I found this rather amusing.

Hugh

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 27 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
The U S law states that only the owner shall have keys to locks on gun cases. therefore, TSA locks are not to be used. There are several previous threads on this subject in this section and some contain links to the TSA regulations with this statement in full.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick replies, Heavy combination locks on my gun case and TSA locks on my duffel will become my SOP.

Posts: 137 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just make sure you listen to all the paiges that the airlines make. It is not unusual for someone to want to "re-examine" the case for whatever reason,, then they cut the locks if you do not respond. I always carry extra locks in my carry-on. My hearing isn's to good,, probably due to shooting all my life and most paiges at the airport sound like mdffnejjnnn,,,mmmmmmmmmm ringringmmmmm. I always tell them when I check in and make them write it in there system that I am hearing impaired and can not respond to paiges...so far,, that has never helped either,,, good luck...if you have a good travel agent they will help you with all the rules, etc.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
How about this one guys...

On Jan 2 I was traveling to BC with a gun. I had 2 locks on the case. Our TSA is behind the scenes, not where you stand and watch. Usually, I am paged if they want in my case, I have to give them the keys, etc.

5 minutes before takeoff, I am pulled off the plane, I run to security, and they tell me I have to get TSA locks. I know the plane is leaving me, and my guns have no chance of making it.

I dart in gift shop, buy a pack of 2 TSA locks, and then run back to plane. They held it for me, and I guess while we were waiting to de-ice, they got my gun on, and it made it.

I know the rules, we all know the rules, but seems like 1 out of every 3-4 times I fly, they want something different.

I have had my toughpak come out multiple times this year locked, but the latch wasn't turned, so the case was locked open. I have given my local TSA a lessen on that since, but like everything with flying, it all depends on who is there on a given day- right or wrong.

I now carry 2 TSA and 2 nonTSA locks in my carry-on. It is ridiculous, but many times you cannot argue.

I know a forum member who was refused getting on a commercial plane a week or so ago because he didn't have a consolate letter from Mexico. Ridiculous...he has travelled to MX dozens of times, had all paperwork in order, and it cost him a $7500 hunt because some goofball at an airline had no clue what they were doing. They have since admitted they were wrong and gave him another ticket, but he missed part 1 of a 2 part hunt.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goes without saying that the US is the most difficult country to travel though or in with guns. I would like to hear from others who travel here with firearms, on their experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I make copies of TSA and the airline's rules concerning travel with weapons and ammo from their web sites and take them with me. Then when they tell me something different, I show them their rules from their web site. It worked for me one time at the airport when I was trying to check my bags.

I had a confused agent and supervisor. When I told them I had the rules printed from their web site, they then checked the site and no more problems. Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I carry the rules too. After reading Tim's post, it's another good reason for doing so. TSA locks on a gun case violate U.S. federal law. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Tim Herald,

What airport pulled this crap? PLEASE, file appropriate complaints with that airport TSA Manager, Janet Napolitano and your state's federal senators and representatives.

I also carry printouts of TSA and airline regulations to present to the dumb-asses at the counter.

NO TSA LOCKS ON GUNCASES!!!

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/a.../editorial_1666.shtm

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Hipwell:
Next month I leave for SA to hunt with my 8 Bore. I am flying through the US on this occassaion, Winnipeg, Chicago, Washington to Joberg.

1. When did you last enter the U.S.A. with firearms? I heard it was rather difficult to enter the U.S.A. with firearms from another country.

2. At least at one time, there was some confusion with U. S. Customs regarding taking large bore sporting rifles out of the country. Firearms with bores larger than .500 caliber can be considered destructive devices. I believe this issue was supposed to have been clarified by SCI but it wouldn't hurt to check on that before you go.

3. Some hunters have had problems transitioning Washington, DC with firearms. Firearm ownership there is very restricted. The case I remember involved a hunter who missed his flight so he had to overnight in Washington, DC and was arrested for having an illegal firearms. Apparently, he was in violation of the law because he had accepted the firearm from the baggage claim area. That story alone has dissuaded me from ever taking a flight with firearms through Washington, DC.

I flew with firearms in a locked case using TSA locks in 2008 with no problems but on my trip last year, it was emphasized on Delta's web site as well as when I got to the airport that the locks couldn't be TSA locks. I always carry extra locks but so far, none of my locks have been cut. I also wait at the TSA place and specifically ask the officer if they need anything else before I leave that area.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am simply traveling through the US. I check my bags in at Winnipeg, (Manitoba, Canada) they are booked straight through to Joberg. I don’t expect to see my two checked in bags until my final destination no matter what delays or flight changes, I can’t, as one bag is a gun case with two rifles! I am not licensed to have a firearm in the US, (or London, Frankfort, Paris etc) that is why my bags are booked through to Joberg. In Winnipeg there are US Customs and TSA staff which check passengers onto all flights to the US. If I was departing direct to Europe I would not proceed through US customs and the Airport security is Canadian not TSA.

On one previous trip to SA flying via Europe I flew Winnipeg, US (Chicago I think) Frankfort and then to Joberg. I did my homework and called US Customs in Winnipeg first, I was told no problem we can sort it (my rifles) out when you arrive. I politely said NO, we sort it out now before I arrive. I phoned everywhere and finally got the real answers from the US BATF, I asked for and received the fellows name and direct phone line and was assured to call him if any problems. I had no problems except that the TSA in the US cut off my gun case locks despite the fact my case had been opened by TSA in my presence at Winnipeg when I checked in, they seized my gun oil, but everything else was OK. That is why I had asked about using TSA approved locks.

I always pack spare locks with me but on this previous occasion they were in my duffel not my gun case. After TSA cut my heavy duty padlocks off they relocked with one cheap padlock. When I arrived at Joberg I just pulled the lock off with my fingers, I was not impressed.

I have learnt the hard way that Airport/Airline security is handled by people who work to their own rules/policy which is not always identical to the law. I now always pack spare locks in my gun case.

I fly fairly regularly due to my business, often with firearms (including automatics etc) and this will be my sixth Safari so I do not consider myself completely “green” but on almost every occasion there are slight differences in Airline/Airport procedures depending who you fly with and where you are.

Thank you for all your input, but it wasn’t my intention to stir up a flurry of activity over what I thought was a simple question: To use or not use TSA locks on a gun case.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Hi John: As you now know, the simple answer is no TSA locks on your gun case. Big Grin Best regards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John on my trips to Africa in 07&08 I went through Frankfurt.I had been told that you can not fly through the U.S. with firearms in checked baggage.If this is not the case now I would like to know as the route through Europe adds cost and time to the flight.

Posts: 45 | Location: saskatchewan,canada | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kestrel
As far as I am aware it has always been possible to fly through the US with firearms in checked in baggage assuming your bags are checked on to your flight in Canada and checked right through to your final destination in this case Joberg. I first went this rout in 2009. I always make a point of checking that there has been no changes with the US Customs before I book my flight. My last check was with Supervisor Stromberg, US Customs, Field Operations, Winnipeg International Airport on 18th Oct 2010, I was told no change in requirements, NO Form 6 required if flying from Winnipeg through the US to Africa but firearms must be declared at pre-clearance with US Customs in Winnipeg.

I do not know what the procedure is if departing from any other airport in Canada but I do not think the requirements would be any different. If I was you I would make a few phone calls first and make a note of who you called.

You are correct, we can save time and money flying this way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Hipwell:
Kestrel
As far as I am aware it has always been possible to fly through the US with firearms in checked in baggage assuming your bags are checked on to your flight in Canada and checked right through to your final destination in this case Joberg. I first went this rout in 2009. I always make a point of checking that there has been no changes with the US Customs before I book my flight. My last check was with Supervisor Stromberg, US Customs, Field Operations, Winnipeg International Airport on 18th Oct 2010, I was told no change in requirements, NO Form 6 required if flying from Winnipeg through the US to Africa but firearms must be declared at pre-clearance with US Customs in Winnipeg.

I do not know what the procedure is if departing from any other airport in Canada but I do not think the requirements would be any different. If I was you I would make a few phone calls first and make a note of who you called.

You are correct, we can save time and money flying this way.

In July 2009, we did the same thing, flying out of Toronto to Johannesburg via Washington Dulles. Going over was very smooth, but on the return we had a flight delay which caused us to have to claim and re-check our baggage in Washington. There was a bit of hassle over the rifle, but we made it through OK.

Hugh

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 27 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I been following this thread and am heading to Alaska in a few months for a "domestic" hunt. I did go to the TSA website and downloaded their instructions.
Additionally, I stopped by the American Airlines terminal at DFW airport and went inside to chat with TSA. I asked them about the locks. They said they did not care if your firearm had a TSA lock or another lock. It was just easier for them to inspect the case if it had a TSA lock.
I am considering buying a Tuff Pak gun case and they have the option of locking via a TSA system or a barrel lock. I think I may choose the TSA variety as it appears you can use a pad lock in lieu of the TSA pad lock. I do not think TSA could get in via the barrel/cylinder lock without tearing up the whole gun case. Hate for that to happen!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate on my last trip to get a TSA inspector who was friendly and cooperative. This was refreshing after having the young woman who was the airline counter agent nearly hyperventilate and faint as she nervously stumbled through the red tag unloaded gun procedure.

I always try to wrap my gun case (over the locks) with packaging tape after it is inspected since there is no reason for further inspection (and in fact, TSA procedures specify that the case is not to be opened by them or anyone until it reaches its final destination).

When I started to do the tape-wrap thing after the case was inspected and locked, the helpful TSA agent offered to wrap it for me with the official blue and red "TSA INSPECTED" wrapping tape. This was great! I felt it discouraged anyone, TSA or otherwise, from messing with the case. The tape (and case) was fully intact when I reached Windhoek via Frankfurt.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Want to really throw them for a loop? Only did this because we were starting and ending in Idaho and San Antonio firearms-friendly airports.

We traveled to Texas for a hunt 2 weeks ago and placed 2 rifles in one case. Put 2 padlocks on the case and we each had a key-told them we both wanted to be present if they had to open the case! They thought that was a wonderful idea.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
eezridr,

Get the Tuff Pak with the barrel lock. That is the one made for firearms. The other with the padlock hasp is made to carry items other than firearms, which need to use the TSA locks. What the TSA agent told you is pure crap, but it makes his job easier, and also endangers your firearm. I have never heard an instance of TSA breaking into a Tuff Pak with the barrel lock. Been using mine for 15 years on more than 15 safaris without incident.

Here is the TSA website page. Print it and carry a copy with you. Pay particular attention to bullet-point 4 & 5.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/a.../editorial_1666.shtm

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lion Hunter,
Thanks!
Now; anyone have a Tuff Pak they want to get rid of? A few scratches is no matter. Smiler
EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote