New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel to RSA through JFK
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see that a number of flights go direct to South Africa from JFK airport in New York. Is there any problem on the return flight bringing rifles back into the country through New York City customs? Anyone have experience with this and care to share?

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several trips both domestic and international with guns thru JFK; no more delay than any other passenger going thru customs.

I did watch one guy cop an attitude and they were working him over pretty good going over his stuff.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That is what I was looking for and what I expected, but it pays to ask.

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But....know that once you physically leave JFK and are say driving somewhere you must go through the city and proceed directly out of NY...no stopping, detours, side trips etc lest you violate NY stupid gun laws. Got this information directly form a Brooklyn police captain...they'll let you drive into the city straight to the airport and do the same departing to get out of NY asap....anything less you are in potential violation...and they don't cut you a break....Good luck.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, if you fly into New York JFK and transfer planes to another airport you should be OK? That is of cours if you don't leave the airport and take your guns with you between flights?

One of Us
Picture of BearCountry953
posted Hide Post
Yes you should be fine. I fly out and into JFK on all my trips to Africa. Follow common sense and no problems at all

Posts: 97 | Location: USA Massachusetts | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice deal...fly direct to Jo'berg and arrive early enough to catch the day's flights out to other destinations. Saves a night's lodging. Now I understand they're flying direct back to the states...no Dakar spray-down!

Posts: 20115 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will avoid jfk like the plague. customs had to look at gun, port authority had to look at gun. police had to look at gun. My god how many criminals commit crimes with a double rifle????? that it was such a big deal. To those of you who had no problems I salute you but anywhere but jfk for me

Posts: 149 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 02 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
We had no issues in 2009 out of JFK.
going we just went to the Port Auth. police and they inspected and delivered my rifle to the xray guys. On our return the customs guy just wanted to see some photos of our hunt , looked at my rifle and stamped the papers. Said he hoped to hunt Africa someday. Everything was smooth.

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe they just all wanted to see the double for reasons not having anything to do with hassle or security reasons? Smiler

Kinda like the folks Ej encountered.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Max Trauma:
I will avoid jfk like the plague. customs had to look at gun, port authority had to look at gun. police had to look at gun. My god how many criminals commit crimes with a double rifle????? that it was such a big deal. To those of you who had no problems I salute you but anywhere but jfk for me

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote