Find
Notify
Tools

What about through Europe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
Unless one is in a great hurry to get to RSA, I have been told that savings could be had by stopping at a European distination enroute.
Any thoughts on this?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Msichana
posted Hide Post
I think it really depends on where in Europe you are routing through. Some countries have very very very strict gun laws and do not allow rifles in, even if you're just passing through.

Traveling through Amsterdam or Frankfurt generally isn't a problem though. I generally don't like London, unless I have to send clients that way.

Just my

Posts: 122 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Guns are a non issue....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Msichana
posted Hide Post
If guns are a non issue and it is cheaper to go through different parts of Europe, then yes, definitely go through Europe.

Plus, if you aren't in a hurry to get to RSA, you can spend a day or two in whatever city you're traveling through for a bit of sight-seeing. Wink

Posts: 122 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
How's about Itally?

My father may go on my 2009 safari in Zim as an observer...

He'd like to stop in Itally for a few days after the hunt....

Will my rifle be an issue there?

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Generally no problems transiting through Paris with rifles. In fact, it's probably the most user-friendly airport in Europe in that aspect.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please beware. Paris has the worst reputation in Europe for lost bags.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
Please beware. Paris has the worst reputation in Europe for lost bags.

Reputations and facts aren't always the same thing. Facts have to be backed up of course. According to the Association of European Airlines, for the year 2007, British Airways had 1,140,990 pieces of delayed luggage for 43,064,346 embarked passengers. Air France had 1,001,078 pieces of delayed baggage for 56,889,596 passengers embarked. So, British Airways had approximately 14% more delayed luggage than Air France, for 32% fewer passengers. Now, these are airline stats, not airport stats, but since the majority of the respective airlines flights arrive or depart from their base airports there's probably a correlation.

Paris may not have the best delayed baggage probability in Europe, but they certainly don't have the worst. Here's a link for those of you who have too much time on your hands:

http://www.aea.be/

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote