New
Find
Notify
Tools

? about Satellite phones.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Of the various brands/services out there - Motorola, Thuraya, etc., which is the best in terms of performance.

Was that same brand the top dog back in 2005 or so?

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
Brought a Motorola last year, never used it. In the Caprivi, we had more than adequate cell signal, just as expensive as sat, but a lot easier to carry. Next time, just buying a SIM card locally to use in a throw down phone for local stuff, still using AT&T for dialing home.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 347 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
They all work, and they all have problems sometime or other.

best way is to find if your PH has one, and just use that for your calls and pay him.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67047 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

sat messenger. works pretty slick.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Inmarsat, bought at DSC. just about half the cost of Motorola (sold by the same guys that sold mine). Airtime cost the same. Works well. The one feature I really like is free texting.
BTW, you can rent sat phones and figure out which one you like that way. Explorer Satelite can fix you up no matter which way you go

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Motorola(Iridium) & the Inmarsat. Which one is best? It depends on where you are. Personally, I find the Inmarsat the best in Africa. However, I find the Motorola to be by far the best in the extreme north ( above the Arctic Circle).

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have the Motorola(Iridium) & the Inmarsat. Which one is best? It depends on where you are. Personally, I find the Inmarsat the best in Africa. However, I find the Motorola to be by far the best in the extreme north ( above the Arctic Circle).

I may need to come borrow one Smiler

I really appreciate you back stopping me on the march trip.

I need to buy one. I bought a samsung multi sim phone in india - can have dual sims running at same time.

Just need to check rules before you travel with sat phone - in some countries they area big no no (india for one) - akin to an undeclared gun.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Iridium 9575 and use a prepaid Sim from http://www.cytechcommunication.../category-s/1846.htm It is the cheapest way to stay in contact back home. I use it mostly in Namibia because cell coverage is a little more spotty there. The 9575 is the best sat phone I have ever used and seldom have a problem with it.

Another idea is to take an unlocked cell phone over and buy a MTN prepaid Sim if you are hunting in RSA. (Make sure it's an unlocked phone, otherwise a prepaid sim will not work) Cell coverage in RSA is very good for the most part. You can always purchase an international unlocked cell phone on Amazon or pick one up at any MTN counter in RSA. Leave it behind with your PH as a gift.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good information, and very much appreciated.

A young friend is headed back to Afghanistan and is wondering what to get.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Iridium 9575. Reliable and built to be very durable. Explorer Satellite is "good people".

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
A word of warning although not likely relevant for Africa is make sure you have reputable batteries in your sat phone.

We had a loan sat phone with us on our Tahr hunt in the Southern Alps last year where we bore the brunt of a vicious snow storm and saw no sun on our snowed in camp for nearly a week before a chopper could get in to retrieve us.

The phone provider, who usually hires these and other equipment out to hunters and mountaineers for mountain use, had just installed a new battery set and also gave us a spare set but when we went to use the phone to call up the chopper the batteries would not function because of the cold. A few minutes in hot water saw them work long enough to call up the chopper. The spare set were no different in performance or lack thereof. Apparently the phone batteries are quite expensive and the replacements he had sourced were quite a bit cheaper FROM CHINA!!!!!

One of our party was a friend of the phone supplier hence we had it on free loan. He, an extremely experienced outdoors man, was very apologetic and learned there is no free lunch when it comes to safety equipment. We were not charged for our call time which was brief anyway because of the dying battery issue.

Posts: 3866 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're really in the outback, then a solar charger is a great addition - http://www.goalzero.com/solar-panels. A power inverter is also a useful tool for laptops, radios, and phones.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good help folks. Please accept my thanks.

I will get him a power inverter that works with the GMV/"HummVee" power interface, and a solar charger.

I am sure the military sources a lot of its batteries from China (Bureaucrat saves money & gets a bonus).

L/D