THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Two airline tickets to Joberg

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two airline tickets to Joberg
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My original plan was to drive to Atlanta from the Florida panhandle and fly to Joberg via Dulles where I am meeting my hunting partners who are flying from Phoenix. I have now decided to fly to Atlanta. Will I run into any difficulties? Can I check my rifle and pack through to Joberg or will I have to collect my stuff in Atlanta? The Atlanta/Dulles leg is United then across the pond via SA airways. The flight from here would be Delta. Thanks for any help.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
You should be able to check the bags straight thru. Just make sure the baggage tags denote the proper flights, etc.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, This would not be the time for my stuff not to make the connection.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contacted Delta today. Seems Delta and United have a baggage agreement. As soon as I have my Atlanta-Dulles-JNB ticket in hand, Delta can make reservations for VPS-ATL and insure the bags will be checked to JNB. Hopefully Roll Eyes I will have 4hrs in Atlanta so can check with United to insure my bags are on the plane.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, United and SAA are partners so there shouldn't be an issue with the luggage, give yourself at least 1 hour and more if possible of layover in DC.

Check to see that your stuff is loaded on the plane before boarding.

Posts: 729 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have almost 2.5hrs in DC.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No worries, just get yourself something good to eat, before the flight, and enjoy. The food is awful...just a headsup.

Posts: 729 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last trip was to Namibia for plains game. Atlanta to JNB to Windhoek. I was hoping this year we would be on a 777 or 747-400. No luck, another Airbus 340 to JNB and a Cessna 206 to Moz, near the border of Zim and Zambia on the Zambezi. Oh well, beats staying at home.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You should be good to check everything all the way through, but verify the baggage tags are correct and all the way to JNB. Also check with the airlines at each stop to see if the bags are with you. [I do this but, am not really sure they are checking, really, but the bags have made it every time, so far!]

Consult www.seatguru.com to be sure you get the best seats available. [SAA seems to put the kids in the "way back" section, so that is something to look out for, and the exit row/bulkhead seats are a little cramped for wider guys]

The meals are airline food. My experience has been not bad, certainly better than anything provided on a US domestic flight! [be sure to check out the juice boxes they provide - the Ceres brand juices fron RSA are a treat I look forward to every trip!]

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote