THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Alaskan Airlines Baggage Handlers....

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaskan Airlines Baggage Handlers....
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful. Flying on Alaska Airline with rifles on Sunday.

Posts: 674 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In about 2012 my wife and I were going on a moose hunt, flying Alaska Airlines, and where we went from a big plane to a smaller plane, we watched out of the terminal window as a baggage handler threw my rifle case out of the cargo hold onto and off of the baggage trolley. If he had come into the terminal he would have gotten what he deserved, but as it was I only had to resight my rifle when we got to camp. I complained long and loud but Alaska Airlines apparently didn't give a rats ass.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2759 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
It should probably be noted that baggage handlers are not employed by Alaska Airlines, they are contracted out through another company. Alaska is taking a hit on social media over this, but technically that employee and whoever supervises them is not employed by AK Airlines.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Many years ago (1980’s), back in the days of plastic gun cases; I watched a baggage handler throw my rifle case on the ground, breaking the end of the case. Security stopped me as I was going through an emergency exit door that led out to the tarmac. I didn’t get a piece of his hide like I wanted, but Frontier Airlines did buy me a new gun case.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having spent more than a few days as a hunting guide I was always stunned when a client refused to check the zero on their rifle before beginning the hunt. The excuses not to typically runs as follows

"Naw that's OK, it was a short flight"

"No I'm good, my scopes" are insert brand name here

"Haven't needed to touch the scope adjustments in 15 years, the rifle"s custom made"

"No I'd rather not I'm hell on game but can't hit a target to save my soul"

"Not necessary, the Gunsmith zeroed it and he's a great shot"

I have seen the results of this decision played out more times than I care to remember

One of Us
posted Hide Post
so where was the baggage conveyor?? without it there wasn;t much else he could do by himself

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
In Alaska there seem to be quite a few massive Baggage handlers. I think most are Samoans, and I watched three of them unload the jet in King Salmon and they were obviously having a contest as the two up in the jet would throw the gun cases as hard as they could 15 feet down to the tarmac and the guy below would pick up the pieces and load them on the cart .

I did report it

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote