New
Find
Notify
Tools

propane bottles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
are we allowed to ship, as checked luggage the small, one pound, propane bottles?

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BC - Only if you want to be locked up with the speed of light as a potential terrroist.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked it up for you What you want is this link

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/...fe7894a90f21b970596c

Its CFR 49 code of Federal Regulations. Its the Hazmat tables. I looked in two places one for propane and the other for Petroium gases. The third to the last Col. is Pass carrying aircraft. In both cases its says forbidden. You would need to talk you your airline. The table is hard to read, take your time.

What is it? Some can's of gas for a jetboil? Look at the label on the cans, lots of shipping info if you can read the fine print.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, no jetboil; I get cold in the mornings and wanted to take a portable heater to warm up the room while I dressed.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bryan, does the camp have electricity?

If so a portable bathroom type heater works pretty good, I use one at the deer lease.

You would need a conversion to 220V of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It won't do any good to talk to the airline. It's illegal to carry a propane cylinder, period. Asking may even get you flagged.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok; thanks everyone. Yes, the camp has a generator, however, it does not always come on when I get up. considered buying a couple of cylinders in hararae, but was advised that they are thin on the ground as a result of some spectacular explosions caused by misuse.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask the PH to get a few of them for you.

They are pretty good at "making a plan".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bryan. Are you going to Africa or Alaska? Wink

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Most PH's will be able to arrange a brazier brought to your tent/rondavedl/chalet in the morning.

Every evening that I've been on safari, and that's relatively a bunch, every PH has told me the plan for the next day and what time I would be awakened. Just ask for a brazier of coals. I'll bet you they will be red hot and not smokey and will warm you like you were in a toaster. Just my experience.

And Larry, I've hunted Manitoba in late November, ice fished in Alaska in January, but the coldest I've ever been was in Zimbabwe about 6 years ago riding in the back of a Land Crusier on the way to the Hide at Hwange. Lions, tigers and a couple of eskimos helped me make a fire to get warm when we finally got there.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge - you are right about the cold Zim am's. If it's that cold I usually jump up front with the PH and make him turn up the heater. I let someone else suffer up top if just riding to a drop off or starting spot.

The coldest I have been in Africa was sleeping out on the ground, in Zim by the way, while waiting for PAC elephants to come garden raiding. The small fire the trackers built didn't put a dent in the chill factor.

Bryan, really, take a pair of synthetic underwear to sleep in and this will help ward off the chill when jumping up to get dressed as well. One can also dress to some extent while staying under the covers with a little practice. What has this to do with propane bottles on airlines, absolutely nothing.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Most PH's will be able to arrange a brazier brought to your tent/rondavedl/chalet in the morning.

Every evening that I've been on safari, and that's relatively a bunch, every PH has told me the plan for the next day and what time I would be awakened. Just ask for a brazier of coals. I'll bet you they will be red hot and not smokey and will warm you like you were in a toaster. Just my experience.

And Larry, I've hunted Manitoba in late November, ice fished in Alaska in January, but the coldest I've ever been was in Zimbabwe about 6 years ago riding in the back of a Land Crusier on the way to the Hide at Hwange. Lions, tigers and a couple of eskimos helped me make a fire to get warm when we finally got there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just see if Safari-Lawyer will tell you where his lovely wife bought those flannel jammies with the feet.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote