New
Find
Notify
Tools

Champagne in Lusaka????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Since the subject of liquor has already been broached, I won't be so embarrassed about asking this.

What is a decent brand of champagne or sparkling wine that will be available in Lusaka?

Champagne is my beer...I've been known to drink a bottle every night while hunting. I drink Korbel (a California brand) at home. Not an expensive brand. But I don't want a cheap "rot gut" type of alternative. French champagnes aren't my favorite, but I would drink Moet White Star or Chandon if they are the only decent types available.

Is there a South African brand of sparkling wine that is extra dry or brut that would be available in Lusaka? We are flying through London directly to Lusaka (not passing through Jo'burg). I prefer not to deal with the Duty Free stores in London, plus I need more than the quantity they would allow me to purchase.

Remember this is like you guys drinking 4 beers!

I appreciate any recommendations.

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Liquor and wine is limited and expensive in Zambia. If you want anything above "rot gut" quality you may have a hard time.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Graham Beck Brut NV is a good South African sparkling wine.

We have drunk it in Tanzania and Namibia. Don't know about availability in Zambia.

If I were you, I would talk to the outfitter about having some on hand.

As an aside, in 1994, Nelson Mandela toasted his inauguration as President of South Africa with a glass of Beck!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nelson Mandela toasted his inauguration as President of South Africa with a glass of Beck!

Then it just might be good enough for me clap

Thanks for the info, you can't imagine how important this is to me! Like you guys being without any beer or good whisky!

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Darin,

If you let your safari operator know basically what to look for they should be able to get what you need at Manda Hill. When I was there the selection was amazing for Africa and prices competitive with the US. We found Grande Marnier, good bourbon and loads of wine etc.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark;

I think my biggest problem is knowing what brand to request that is comparable to Korbel.

Maybe I'll have to go taste testing when I'm there!

Mrlexma's recommendation of Graham Beck Brut NV as a good South African sparkling wine sounds like I'm on the right track. I doubt they have California stuff in Lusaka.

Thanks for letting me know.... I really appreciate you input!

Regards, Darin

one of us
posted Hide Post
From Korbel you only have one basic route in tastes and that's up.........if you don't like French champagne and do like Korbel, I would suggest trying the latest batch of paint thinner, easily available........ clap

Just kidding, but you're a classic example of one of my favorite sayings, French no less, ........chacun a son goute.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if you can buy it in the States, but I'm sure Mr Google will be able to confirm availability of the John Platter's South African Wine Guide. If you can buy it, the book has a write up of every wine that comes out of the SA vinyards.

I'd guess you should be able to buy the book fairly easily.

Ah, immediatly after posting this, I found this for you: http://www.platteronline.com/home/

I'd think the free 2001-2007 editions should be able to tell you all you need to know. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shakari;

Thanks for the info...I shall pursue!

REgards, D. Nelson