New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms fubar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is unresolved as of today, but has gotten to the point of rediculous.

Checked my gun case in Harare. Final distination was DFW. We arrived at Dulles International and retrieved luggage to be processed through Customs - no gun case. Baggage folks called around and couldn't locate it before my connection, so we left - hoping it would show up.

Filled out a missing bag report at DFW. United agent was less than helpful - asking why I thought they should fill out a bag claim since the fault was obviously with SAA. I mentioned their highly touted STAR Alliance with SAA and asked if it didn't apply to baggage, just what DID it apply to. He filled out the report.

Called Gracey Travel to sic them on it. Got a message the next day that the bag tag had come off, but the case had been located and was enroute.

Checked the status on line the next day and it showed no status, so I called. The agent for United said the case had been located and was now at Dulles.

Call the next day from SAA baggage saying they were shipping the gun case by freight forwarder to nearest airport (Austin) where I would be contacted and could retrieve my rifle and clear Customs.

Call 4 days later from Forward Air saying they had my gun case, and I would have to come to their office (~ 12 miles from the airport) and pick up paperwork and take the forms to Customs at the airport and have them signed and bring them back to them ALONG WITH A CASHIER'S CHECK FOR $140.

OK, I'll play. I went there today, picked up the forms, schlepped them to the airport and handed them over to the Customs officer - who eventually brought them back to me and said he'd try to get over to the freight company tomorrow and look at it - he'd have to physically inspect the case. I did a slow burn, but knew that I wouldn't get anywhere with an agency that enforces regulations and keeps the country safe from evil doers.

So back to the Forward Air office - where I asked the one employee on duty why he contacted me to drive the 50 miles over to his office when it hadn't been released. He said "sometimes they inspect - sometimes they don't. I hope you didn't piss off the inspector. If you did, it may be a while."

Meanwhile - 7 days and counting. I know there are many who have never seen their rifles again, but it sure is frustrating seeing my gun case, and not being able to bring it home...

Why SAA decided to treat my gun case as freight instead of baggage, I don't understand... TIA has followed me home.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
May I suggest to all who read this: Please put permanent tags or identification on your gun cases, along with the floppy tags that Gracy, Custom Travel and others provide. I have large permanent identification plates on my Tuff Paks for that very reason. Acer: Hang in there. You've paid the fee and it's just a matter of time. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
actually i believe it's up to the airlines to get the case to you at their expense

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
Correct. The Airline should be handling all of the proceedures and should either have the case ready for your collection,or if Customs inspection is needed, then they should have arranged the process. Too many airlines are getting away with Murder in cases like this. If I were you I would email the most senior person in public relations and let them have it. make sure you CC as many other people in the airline management as you possibly can. Hopefully someone amongst them will give a damn

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote