New
Find
Notify
Tools

semi auto shotguns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
can't find anything in the regulations ..d'you know if semi auto shotguns (stopped to 3 rounds) are allowed for visitors to bring into SA for bird shooting?

COUNTRYSPORTS.
Established 1984. Web sites: www.countrysports.co.uk & www.fishinginuk.co.uk SCOTLAND, ENGLAND, POLAND, SOUTH AFRICA

Posts: 95 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Here you go: http://www.shakariconnection.c...-regulations.html#sa

Wingshooting purposes only but I'd recommend you get your import permit in advance.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
So, Steve, what is a "good reason" in, in your opinion, regarding a letter of motivation, for hunting with a semi-automatic shotgun? (For my future reference should I want to bring one of my semi-autos to hunt birds). Is just stating: "For wing shooting purposes" good enough? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that. Frankly, I hate the bloody things - you can never be sure if it's unloaded or not (OK , I know about those flags you can insert but still......)
And besides, (some) of us Brits consider it unsporting to have more than 2 shots at a time.
It was requested by a client

COUNTRYSPORTS.
Established 1984. Web sites: www.countrysports.co.uk & www.fishinginuk.co.uk SCOTLAND, ENGLAND, POLAND, SOUTH AFRICA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
If memory serves me right we know someone who has a vip service to assist people with there permits don't we?????? what was that BIG BUGGERS name?????? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
UEG,

Technically, just 'for wingshooting only' should be enough but as I said, I'd recommend using an import service to get the permits in advance..... Anything unusual will always confuse the CFR... As an example of this, according to the CFR, I have the only 1926 John Dickson & Son sidelock ejector pump action in existance and no matter many times I tell them it's a break action and not a pump and that Dickson have never made pumps, the more they ignore me! rotflmo

Ochaye,

I'm not a fan of them either.

DDR,

Yes mate. It was remiss of me not to mention Aubs so will do so now..... You might like to contact Aubrey Kent who posts here as 458aubs to organise your pemit.

Going slightly off topic, South and indeed also East Africa has some fantastic and very reasonably priced wingshooting and I can never really understand why so few overseas hunters take advantage of it. bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve: If you took the sidelock in and SHOWED them would that make any difference? I know that in my limited experience in dealing with SAPS, sometimes even the simple explanations to their inquiries have required them to pause and think (usually because they think that you are trying to pull something over on them, and they are trying to figure out what you are trying to pull over on them dancing ), but maybe in this instance, showing them the actual shotgun might get them to change the designation, no? Big Grin Or is that not advisable or even possible?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've tried that twice buddy! jumping

That's Africa for you though! Roll Eyes

Oddly, I've been through customs etc with it several times and they don't comment on the discrepancy at all..... I guess because they don't know the difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I said, simple minds. . . . . . . Big Grin

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Like I said, simple minds. . . . . . . Big Grin

Ain't that the truth! rotflmo

Still, the good news is that after 10 years of this act being proved to be a super mega bugly stuff up, they've finally started to acknowledge it and there's talk of reviewing the situation.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they eventually decide to go back to the old act which was perfectly adequate and very user friendly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
can Tim bring his high cap magazine for his shot gun to bird hunt??? HEY he asked me I told him Nada,no hapana,neit,no mase,I mentioned an obseen act with his brain too rotflmo I can not wait to get to RSA and do some bird shooting, or any where else the mood takes US Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
can Tim bring his high cap magazine for his shot gun to bird hunt??? HEY he asked me I told him Nada,no hapana,neit,no mase,I mentioned an obseen act with his brain too rotflmo I can not wait to get to RSA and do some bird shooting, or any where else the mood takes US Big Grin

Is Tim that bad a shot then? rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he's better with a pistol that with a shot gun jumping I know for a fact that he sleeps with his 45. jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Ochaye,
I'm not a fan of them either.
DDR,
Going slightly off topic, South and indeed also East Africa has some fantastic and very reasonably priced wingshooting and I can never really understand why so few overseas hunters take advantage of it. bewildered

Same here..it's such good value. Here are some pictures from two groups I had from Argentina (coals to Newcastle?) http://www.countrysports.co.uk...fricabirdcdetail.htm

(the group leader told me he reckoned the dove shooting was better than Argentina!! That was quite a compliment. OK, their wildfowling is better but what the heck, it's still bloody good!)

COUNTRYSPORTS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ochayethenoo,
I now a lot of wing shooters here that either don't know how good the wing shooting is in Africa or they have the misconception that is very expensive. I guess we need to educate wing shooters here better

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ddrhook: Steve sleeps with that .45 for good reason! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO NO TIM sleeps with his 45. the host of high caliber radio who was in Dallas this year. he's not paranoid but you never know when someone might try to sneak up on you rotflmo Steve has Susan he does not need a gun rotflmo rotflmo

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
Steve has Susan he does not need a gun rotflmo rotflmo

Eish, but she's gonna make you regret that one! jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not if you don't tell her what I said Big Grin Big Grin

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Too late mate. jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want yellow rose's at my funeral

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funeral--nah but we are gonna start a pool on where you end up next time she handles your travel arraingements.

space

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Funeral--nah but we are gonna start a pool on where you end up next time she handles your travel arraingements.

space

The bad news is, she's threatening Afghanistan.

The good news, he can take his Marlin rifle.

The other bad news is, no ammo!

animal animal animal animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So hook, are you referring to that fine Russian Sporting shotgun of mine? The saiga-12 with a spreader tube and a 20rd drum? Fear not Steve, I have my eye on a Miroku O/U that should suffice.

I know what you mean about explain things to the powers that be. I think they are probably still looking for the .30-06 that wasn't in my checked luggage at Jo'burg. I had a Colt 10mm and 200rds along with a box of hornady lite mag '06 for a friend. All was on my import permit.
they looked all through my luggage for a rifle.
No amount of explanation seemed to sink in. This was about 10 yrs ago.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like we said, simple minds. . . . . . Big Grin And it hasn't changed in the last ten years! lol

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Mate, I'd love to see the faces of the other guns if you ever produced that Saiga at the start of a days wingshooting! animal

Damn it'd be worth doing just for the laugh! jumping

UEG,

It probably won't ever change either....... karibu Africa! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm toast no matter what I do if he told MOM she will murder me really really slowly rotflmo