THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Ethiopean Airlines? Anyone fly with them?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ethiopean Airlines? Anyone fly with them?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If so, what could you say about service?

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flew with them during October 2009. Very friendly flight crew and ground staff.

Would definitely fly with them again.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9383 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Flew with them during October 2009. Very friendly flight crew and ground staff.

Would definitely fly with them again.

Do you have any idea what the status of their maintenance protocols are? How about their crews? Qualifications and training?

Just a friendly reminder to beware of ANY African airline.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:

Do you have any idea what the status of their maintenance protocols are? How about their crews? Qualifications and training?

Just a friendly reminder to beware of ANY African airline.

http://www.airsafe.com/events/regions/afmid.htm

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
A pilot once told me that EA was the premier African airline as far as their equipment and maintenance were concerned.

Passengers have related to me that service was good to exceptional and that they were pleased with their travel on EA.

I believe they have a Boeing 777LR that makes several legs per week from Washington DC to Addis Ababa. Good option for travel to East and Central Africa. Allows you to avoid Europe or RSA if that's your pleasure.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
I believe they have a Boeing 777LR that makes several legs per week from Washington DC to Addis Ababa. Good option for travel to East and Central Africa. Allows you to avoid Europe or RSA if that's your pleasure.

Yep, done this flight before and doing it again in early April. Mine stayed airborne, so I guess it was safe enough. Service was fine, no complaints.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been years since i flew on ET. I can't really comment on the current situation with them, but during the time I worked in Africa, I was aware that ET did most of the heavy maintenance checks for other African carriers. I rode them several times and everything seemed to work. No hydraulic fluid dripping from an actuator like on Kenya Airways. I would imagine they're still okay, since they serve
European capitals. OTOH, so does TAG Angola, but they have Portuguese crews trained to European standards.

But, as surestrike says, it *is* an African airline. I won't fly SAA and I might give ET a pass now, not having current information. The cabin service isn't really important. It's what's going on under all that sheet metal that you can't see that's important.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you have any idea what the status of their maintenance protocols are? How about their crews? Qualifications and training

Boeing has a maintenance center in Addis Ababa.
ET could very easlier be safer than some of our
own domestic airlines. I'm using their non stop IAD/ADD flight this coming Wednesday.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Elliott:
quote:
Do you have any idea what the status of their maintenance protocols are? How about their crews? Qualifications and training

Boeing has a maintenance center in Addis Ababa.
ET could very easlier be safer than some of our
own domestic airlines. I'm using their non stop IAD/ADD flight this coming Wednesday.

Rich Elliott

Last I heard, they use all Boeing Aircraft, which, to me, is a plus. Since Boeing is there in Addis, I wouldn't worry about flying ET.

One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was there in Dec/Jan 87/88, we were flying out of Asmera when it was still a part of Ethiopia. A couple of ET DC-3's were opperating off the same ramp. Since I had flown Threes, I walked over and introduced myself to one of their captains. He was a very nice guy and gave me a cockpit tour. You could have eaten lunch off the floor, it was so clean. He had 24,000 hours in DC-3's and 22,000 in that particular airplane. I hope he survived the war.

I always liked Ethiopia. Hardest working people I ever met in Africa.

One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
I fly to and from Addis several times a year and have never had an issue with ET. Addis customs and Immigration is another story, but generally they are pretty good and helpful.

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew on ET many, many times while I lived in Djibouti from 2006 to 2009 and was always very happy with the service. IMO, the best carrier in Africa.

Matt Romagnuolo

Posts: 100 | Location: All over, US Army | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing, regarding the ticket prices. I am doing a 3-week hunt in CAR, in April 2011. If I fly from Denver Co, catch Ethiopian Air in D.C., through Addis and into Bangui. RT ticket is about $2,100.00.

From Denver to Bangui, on Delta, via Paris. RT ticket is $3,300.00.

Big Difference!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote