THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Whats the latest on gun case locks?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats the latest on gun case locks?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'll be flying domestically this February and internationally (RSA) with a Tuff Pak that takes a pad lock. I previously had one with the internal barrel lock. What is the latest advice and recommendations on locks? TSA lock or good quality keyed pad lock?

Posts: 1525 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Non TSA locks

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
I use non TSA master locks.

DRSS Member

Posts: 906 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Firearms are always non-TSA locks...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Non TSA and I’d suggest taking an extra, seen where locks have been broken or cut off.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2906 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Agree with what Karl says.

However, I just had a dust up with TSA on a trip to Sonora a couple weeks ago. They demanded the combination to my lock, which I explained contradicts their own regulations. We had quite a standoff, as the TSA supervisor demanded the combo, I refused to give it, they refused to bring the Tuffpak for me to unlock and we had a Mexican standoff (pardon the pun)so she said if I didn’t give her the combination, , my gun wasn’t flying. I finally relented, but got her name and assured her that if anything was amiss when I got to Hermosillo, she’d have hell to pay when I was done with her. She brought back photos to show me it was properly locked and everything arrived in Hermosillo just fine. But, I’m going to send a letter of complaint to TSA management, as she really went out of her way to be a disagreeable pain in the ass.

What I haven’t figured out is how they got into my Pelican case that all my gear was in. It had 2 non-TSA padlocks and somehow they opened them to inspect the contents. All was fine but I’m at a loss to understand how they opened those locks.

Posts: 3909 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:

However, I just had a dust up with TSA on a trip to Sonora a couple weeks ago. They demanded the combination to my lock, which I explained contradicts their own regulations. We had quite a standoff, as the TSA supervisor demanded the combo, I refused to give it, they refused to bring the Tuffpak for me to unlock and we had a Mexican standoff (pardon the pun)so she said if I didn’t give her the combination, , my gun wasn’t flying. I finally relented, but got her name and assured her that if anything was amiss when I got to Hermosillo, she’d have hell to pay when I was done with her. She brought back photos to show me it was properly locked and everything arrived in Hermosillo just fine. But, I’m going to send a letter of complaint to TSA management, as she really went out of her way to be a disagreeable pain in the ass.

What I haven’t figured out is how they got into my Pelican case that all my gear was in. It had 2 non-TSA padlocks and somehow they opened them to inspect the contents. All was fine but I’m at a loss to understand how they opened those locks.

Did they leave you the nice card, indicating that they searched your case.

I did have one of my TSA locks cut off to see what was in the case. It is always wise to Cary additional padlocks along, especially when the rule indicate that the case needs to be secure and locked.

I am thinking that there are universal keys for some padlocks.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always carry two extra small combination locks. TSA in Texas has not yet opened one of mine, but they do an x-ray. I get asked where I am going hunting and we talk hunting. Just be polite, get the airport 2 hours early and be patient.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I have 4 locks on my rifle case (because there are 4 spots to lock it of course..ugh!) and use padlocks all keyed the same and include 4 more padlocks inside also using the same keys with a note for TSA to please use these if they had to cut my locks for some reason.

I hand TSA my keys and wait until they return them. I've never had them open the case out of my sight so far at Dulles or my local airport but they do open it at Dulles.

Never use non-TSA locks on anything else - that's a for sure way to get them cut off or be called back from the gate...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:

We were in Hermosillo possibly the same week.. I was there the 9th thru the 16th. Shot a nice 190 class Desert Mulie..

I love Mexico! Food was awesome, people are great and unbelievable numbers of big deer!!

Oh - and I never felt unsafe in any way.. We drove down from Tucson so I did not see the airport...