THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Latest SAA or Delta Considerations

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest SAA or Delta Considerations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thanks to you veterans in advance. My dumb question of the day.......Probably (95%) heading to Namibia in May with Kowas Safaris. My only trip to Africa prior was to SA was last May. Does anyone have a preference of taking the ATl-JBurg Delta non stop, overnight in J'Burg, dealing with SAPS bs, as compared to South African Air straight shot to J'Burg, arriving in the am, catching a same day hop over to Windhoek, no overnight/SAPS to deal with, etc?

I guess I'm wondering if SAA is any better or worse than Delta? I hear it both ways. FWIW I can get a exit row seat on SAA with huge legroom, as compared to Delta economy comfort. Thanks for the insight.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JGRaider,

SAA on the surface seems the simplest and most hassle free. The only real consideration is whether it is important to see your luggage in JNB. For me I like to know it made it to JNB so I'd fly Delta and overnight in JNB. Then if the luggage did not show up at my final destination you have a better idea of where to start the search.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For me I like to know it made it to JNB so I'd fly Delta and overnight in JNB. Then if the luggage did not show up at my final destination you have a better idea of where to start the search.

Me too........

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
SAA's service leaves a lot to be desired. Seats are horrible. No way I'd fly across the pond with SAA even if it were free.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOsteology:
SAA's service leaves a lot to be desired. Seats are horrible. No way I'd fly across the pond with SAA even if it were free.

Smiler

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
And, if you that stop over in Dakar, it is brutal while you get hosed down with insecticide.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These were my comments from a similar thread last June:

"I just got back two weeks ago from Zim and SA.

I have made this trip 10 times, 9 on SAA and 1 - this last one on Delta.

I was expecting great things from Delta based on all who have posted here, but I was underwhelmed.

Compared to my last few SAA flights [August, 2012, October 2011] I prefer their service and convenience.

This is all based on little things really but it is what it is.
They are:
Deltas No cancellation policy, requiring insurance. +$240
Deltas One Bag restriction +$150 for the 2nd bag [RT]
Deltas 777 seemed rather worn, rubbed and slightly dingy [SAA's Airbus' were new last year]
Deltas food service was only OK, same food both ways, and so very - American. [SAA's seems more like a "Foreign" airline - different - african.]
Deltas beverage service was stingy [" No you may not have two glasses of wine. We'll be around again later"]
Deltas on board staff were "american airline" competent - indifferent and disinterested.[made me feel right at home!]
Deltas flight times are very late in the day requiring lots of wasted airport time and connection issues.
Delta provides no on board "amenity kit"

Deltas seats WERE softer, same size, but soft vs SAA's "Euro sports car" feel.
Deltas JNB staff were equally rude and barely competent as are the average at JNB.
Deltas firearms "Security" person asked outright for "a little something" to be sure that the firearms were safely on board the aircraft. [The SAA/JNB security staff seem to expect/appreciate something but are not asking for it.]

So, for me, I don't see the Delta charm and if you can get to the SAA JFK departure without undue hassle it seems a "no-brainer" choice to me, esp with connections from JNB!"

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
SAA sucks, Delta sort of sucks.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13446 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too was conflicted about routing to Namibia this year. Both SAA and Delta have their drawbacks. This year it came down to which route to take through Jbg. The Delta Frk - Whk route was abandoned due to German gun import hassle AND the new Air Namibia gun case surcharge - $100 each way. Apparently the SAA flights from Dulles stop in Dakar whereas the NY/JFK flights do not.The SAA direct to Jbg.arrives in the AM,early enough for a connecting SAA flight to Whk (no SAPS and no overnight in Jbg.) The Delta flight Atl to Jbg lands too late for a same day shuttle to Whk so it is either SAPS OR leaving guns in baggage holding. I have opted to go with SAA this year,despite the LONG "day" of flying, unfortunately in an economy seat ! I am taking an inflatable"comfort" cushion to deal with the "firm" SAA seat. Steve Turner- Travel With Guns got me a great rate,saving me at least $800. I will know more about how wise (or unwise) my choice was after this trip ! I figured that I could put up with some discomfort to save that much money - to be applied to trophy fees...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Besides the one bag rule on Delta, at least as of last year they wouldn't check your bags through to the connecting flight out of Joberg if it wasn't a Delta flight. I had to get my bags, go through SAPS only to recheck on SAA to Harare. The connection no longer seemed safe, so I overnighted. Since I was losing a day (this change had happened after everything was booked) I opted to charter into camp rather than drive. All in all a lot of money and hassle because of their baggage policy. I'm going SAA this year because of it.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
Besides the one bag rule on Delta, at least as of last year they wouldn't check your bags through to the connecting flight out of Joberg if it wasn't a Delta flight. I had to get my bags, go through SAPS only to recheck on SAA to Harare. The connection no longer seemed safe, so I overnighted. Since I was losing a day (this change had happened after everything was booked) I opted to charter into camp rather than drive. All in all a lot of money and hassle because of their baggage policy. I'm going SAA this year because of it.

Did you talk to anyone at Delta about this? I've done it successfully before, and while everyone always seems really stressed about it, I don't hear of anyone getting shafted as often those over-nighting in JBurg.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did, and basically was told they were sorry, but that's the policy. I liked the economy comfort seats, but the hassle factor caused me to take my business elswhere.
To add insult to injury, they left my gun case on the tarmac in Joberg on the way home, and I had to present myself at the customs office at the Minneapolis airport to get it back. Fortunately I was flying through Minneapolis the next weekend, instead of having to drive 300 miles to fix it. delta then flew it back to the commuter airport in Aberdeen. AT least they didn't charge me for that.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Delta will still check bags through to final destination IF flights are booked on one ticket. Last year my Delta flights were on Sky Miles and I had a second ticket on Air Namibia,requiring claim and recheck in Frankfurt
AND the obligatory German gun import permit.Delta agent in Albuquerque was kind enough to agree to check bags through to Windhoek,contrary to Delta "policy". Given the tighter controls on the permit,even on checked-through guns, now in effect,the second bag charge by Delta and the gun case surcharge by Air Namibia( amounting to some $450)
I have switched to SAA , JFK - JBG direct this year. Air fares are high enough without these extra charges by Delta,Air Namibia ANF the Frk. city government !!

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
SAA sucks, Delta sort of sucks.

Agreed.

I've flown both. Living in Atlanta I am pretty much limited to Delta. However, if I had the choice of flying SAA early and connecting the same day (which I had the option of doing in 2005), I would do it. That being said, Delta ain't that bad and SAPS ain't that hard. Overnighting in J'berg gives you a chance it catch up a bit as well.

Good luck,

George

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to Namibia in June and am doing the SAA JFK-JNB-WDH flight with no overnight in JNB. If you overnight in JNB it will add significant cost to your trip which could be better spent on trophy fees.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
JGRaider,

SAA on the surface seems the simplest and most hassle free. The only real consideration is whether it is important to see your luggage in JNB. For me I like to know it made it to JNB so I'd fly Delta and overnight in JNB. Then if the luggage did not show up at my final destination you have a better idea of where to start the search.

Mark

The more I studied, researched, and re-studied, the more I liked this idea. So much in fact, I booked the Dallas-Atlanta-J'burg, overnight at City Lodge, pre-approved SAPS. Debbie @ Gracy Travel handled everything very well IMO.

First trip to Namibia, very much looking forward to it.