THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Best flight itinerary from US to Joberg then Port Elizabeth?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best flight itinerary from US to Joberg then Port Elizabeth?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have heard that some airports are not ideal to fly throught.

If I am flying from California to Joberg, then on to Port E., what airlines/airports would you recommend that I fly through? Would you do a direct flight from JFK, ATL or other to Joberg or would you try to travel via Europe if cheaper?

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
If I had my choice, I would do a direct flight from Atlanta to Joberg.

That said, I have flown Air France from Washington Dulles to Paris to Joberg to Port Elizabeth. Air France is pretty persnickety on their paperwork but all said, the trip went OK with the exception of the flight back from Joberg to Paris. The people of the Air France desk in Joberg screwed up the paperwork which was the reason for the problem.

If I were you, I would use a travel agent familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the various countries and airlines. I used Kathi Klimes of Wild Travel.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Being from Atlanta naturally I would say through Atlanta non-stop to J'berg. However, you may want to check SAA from Washington (and maybe NY??) as I believe the SAA flight gets in early enough to J'berg whereby you can connect out that day to Port Elizabeth. Although, either way it wouldn't hurt to spend the night in J'berg near the airport and get some rest.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lot's of options depending on how many days you have or want to take to get there. The downside is they all route via JNB.

I went to Port Elizabeth in Oct 2010. I went with South African Airlines (SAA)via JFK and the only air service into Port E was via SAA subsidiary called South African Express. Important point with this when clearing JNB with guns and ammo.

I packed (and declared) ammo in a locked box in my checked bag and was not allowed to check all the way to Port E. I had to clear RSA Customs and rifle import in JNB.

Claimed my check bag, had my SAPS 520 all filled out and cleared JNB SAPS with no issues. Went to check in and re-check bag and rifle case with South African Express. Declared the rifle case and the bag with ammo in it.

Agent made me take the ammo box out of my checked bag and had to pay the extra bag fee ($90.00 USD) to have the locked ammo box shipped separately. Had to step out of line and go to a different SAX ticketing counter, wait in line, purchase the extra bag ticket and go back to wait in line again to try to re-check in. Got my boarding pass, she accepted my "unloaded" checked bag and I had to go to the Domestic SAPS office on the other side of the check-in area (not to the International SAPS office I just came from), wait in line again and the Domestic SAPS took the rifle and ammo cases.

On the return flight from Port E when I checked in I was charged $100 ZAR for them (SAX) to handle my rifle case for the flight back.

Keep in mind I had printed copies of both the SAA and SAX rifle/ammo web pages and tried to show them what they were doing was not according to what was on their website instructions - waist of breath, time and paper. Glad I had a 5 hour lay-over in JNB or with all the waiting in lines I would have missed my connection.

Side note - I paid the extra $90 with my Visa and then challenged the charge when I got home. Provided copies of the web site info and ended up having the charges taken off.

Lessons Learned and Re-Learned: 1. Don't take short/tight connections. 2. Always pack ammo in a locked (TSA locks) ammo case even though it may not be "required" it is always accepted and makes changes to unpublished "requirements" a LOT easier.

Shortest flight time is ATL-JNB - Delta. Most daily flights is JFK. Most relaxed route is via Frankfurt or Zurich. Both are over-night flights from the US and also into JNB and you can spend a day or more in either city without too much trouble with guns. Easiest US International terminal has been via Charlotte NC to Frankfurt and back. This year we've got direct flight from Tampa to Zurich overnight, spend the day there and overnight into JNB then into Windhoek.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advise. Had much the same experience in 2010 with trip from California. Went through Atlanta flew Delta non stop to Jo burg over night at Afton, Had ammo in separate locked box in checked luggage. Good thing Returning from PE airline made me remove my ammo box out of Checked luggage. did not charge me extra however. You need plenty of time between connections probably a good idea to overnight in Joburg You might consider one of the services that preregister your guns In my opinion it is money well spent.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Not even a question. Atlanta to Joburg nonstop. Do not do DC to Joburg through Senegal.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delta from Atlanta is non-stop to Jo-Berg, and three hours less than going thru Dulles. They go 9+ hours to Dakar, hour on the ground to refuel, then another 9+ hours to Jo-Berg. They also fumigate the cabin during the fuel stop.
And, the stewardesses on Delta all speak American.

Of course, on SAA you have the opportunity to scarf a couple of those nice red wool blankets...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not true. SAA is 17 hours to JNB from Dulles. All attendants spoke English and it is about $800 cheaper round trip. Also food is much better and more frequent. It is my experience that SAA folks are more friendly to firearms toting passengers. That being written, I like economy comfort, and am flying out of ATL in June.

NRA
SCI & DSC
9.3x62
375 H&H
300 H&H
450 Nitro 3.25

Posts: 77 | Location: I been everywhere!!! | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Delta from Atlanta is non-stop to Jo-Berg, and three hours less than going thru Dulles. They go 9+ hours to Dakar, hour on the ground to refuel, then another 9+ hours to Jo-Berg. They also fumigate the cabin during the fuel stop.
And, the stewardesses on Delta all speak American.

Of course, on SAA you have the opportunity to scarf a couple of those nice red wool blankets...

Delta does not stop in Dakar anymore since they switched to a different plane. It also cuts a lot of time off; it was only 15 hours rather than the 19 1/2 one way.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hands down, take Delta 200 Atlanta to JoBerg, then SAA to PE.
This has worked great for me.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
worked well for me to

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try to get a BA flight to PE from JNB.
Just a better airline regionally.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
British Airlines (BA) apparently not allowing guns or ammo on its or its subsidiary airlines COMAIR and Kulula operating in RSA.

BA Guns & Ammo in RSA

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delta from ATL to Joburg, overnight at City Lodge Hotel at airport, early flight on SAA to PE the next morning.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2906 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that BA prohibition on guns. I carry my bows in a golf bag. No worries.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote