Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Locks for Ammo Container
 Login/Join

posted
Is it OK to use regular locks for my pelican ammo box or am I required to use TSA locks? Also do you guys carry cash for payment to PH?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guy,

Your not required to use TSA locks on your ammo box but if you do and the TSA folks want to look in your ammo box they can do that without you being there if you use TSA locks. Might be very convenient if you do not have to come back to let then go through your box.

I recommend paying as much up front as possible and only taking tip and pocket money in cash.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13018 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told to use TSA locks on my ammo container last year, and I did so.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2648 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I was told TSA locks were mandatory on ammo boxes.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
So why use an ammo box? If the ammo is in factory boxes to begin with, why not just either distribute it in with your clothes, or put it (weight permitting) in with your firearms?

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Guy,

I used regular locks and had no problem but, damn airline rules change overnight. I would try and pay as much up front as possible. I only take tip and pocket money with me.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
You don't need to use TSA locks on the ammo box but if someone needs to get into it and you're not around, you locks will be cut. That said, I've only had locks cut once; on a camera case on the way to Norway in 2005.

I would get an ammo case you can use a padlock on and take extra locks just in case someone cuts it. The cheapest place I've found to buy locks is Harbor Freight.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used regular locks on my Pelican case last September and they were cut off by the TSA in Atlanta. Tells me that TSA compliant locks are the way to go.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Agreed on ammo boxes or on regular luggage for that matter. Not on gun cases, however. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Finally found TSA locks so will use them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
good luck--I used TSA locks and they left them UNLOCKED after inspecting my ammo--

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CrossL

Yeah! Watched a TSA agent take my TSA lock off my suitcase, set the lock aside, inspect the bag and put it on the belt without my lock. Those guys are not rocket scientist at all.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13018 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
Guy GP,

I picked up some really heavy TSA style combo locks from Cabelas for our PG safari to South Africa last year. I bought doubles of everything, so that we the inept TSA forgot to put them back on, I would have a set of spares. The locks I bought were the "Safe Skies" brand thick shackle locks, which are wonderfully over-built compared to the normal garbage TSA locks you buy at Target/Walmart.

Regarding paying the PH- we did carry enough cash to pay him, which was a little unnerving since I'm not used to having anywhere near that amount of cash on-hand when travelling. I used my Pelican double rifle case as a safe and locked everything up in that while away. Best of luck to you on your hunt!

-John

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H T:
So why use an ammo box? If the ammo is in factory boxes to begin with, why not just either distribute it in with your clothes, or put it (weight permitting) in with your firearms?

Many airlines require you to use a locked container. I use a TSA lock. Pretty well all airlines will not allow ammo in same container as firearms.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
My next trip (in May) is on Delta, and here's what Delta Airlines says:

Rifles and shotguns must be packaged as follows:
•Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.
•One gun case containing rifles or shotguns, plus shooting materials and tools
•One gun case containing handguns, one scope and tools
•One bow and quiver of arrows and maintenance kit enclosed in a case or container strong enough to protect the bow and quiver from accidental damage
•No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition

Appears there are no restriction on the ammo being in with the rifle, or not.

And here's what TSA says about allowing ammo in with the guns:
Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above.

Of course, I'll call Delta directly, get a name and their policy and so on. And even after that I may yet end up putting the ammo in the checked bag, in a locked camera case. Have done so before.

Have been through the drill where the bolt was not allowed in the same case as the rifle (I can't make this stuff up) by the counter agent. Had to put it in my carry on to satisfy that agent. Of course, that played hell when I was returning and had the bolt in my carry on.... seems that particular counter agent had never heard of such a thing. Confused

ahh yes, travel to Africa !!

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth ......

Confirmed with Delta that the term "shooting materials" includes ammunition, and that it may be packed with the rifles or shotguns.

So as far as "official" Delta is concerned, the ammo and guns can be together. Not sure how far I want to push that....being right isn't always enough, as we've all learned.

A note of curious logic - the Delta agent also referred me to a notation on the Delta website that for flights departing FROM Jo'Berg, the South AFrican authorities require that ammo be packed separately from the firearms. Another reason to shoot all of them up before you return. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are traveling thru RSA (domestic flights) they will often require you to tag your ammo as a seperate item. I always just packed my ammo in my locked duffle, but was told about the RSA deal and changed my habit and glad I did as the next trip they seperated the ammo in Joberg on the way to Richards Bay. Also I always try to have TSA inspect my bagage in my presence and then tag it as inspected by them.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, dealing with the air travel is quite the merry-go-round with any sporting equipment not just firearms. Delta insisted that my ammo be separate and in a locked container (see separate post). They also insisted on tagging my luggage to my final destination ( Bulawayo) even though I had an overnight in Joburg. They would only override the computer after I bluffed them into thinking I was talking to my lawyer on my cell phone and was reading their names off their ID's. I try to comply with the most likely accepted practices to avoid the ignorant hassles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My ammo box will be secured with a TSA lock and buried inside of my checked bag on my upcoming trip.

Regarding money, the Thormahlens have recommended that I bring only a personal check. At the end of the safari, I can write a check to cover everything--even tips to PH and staff. They will then deposit it electronically and will know if I'm solvent long before I leave RSA. Seems like a good idea to me.....

I'll only take enough cash for souvenirs and other odds and ends.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
quote:
Originally posted by H T:

Many airlines require you to use a locked container. I use a TSA lock. Pretty well all airlines will not allow ammo in same container as firearms.

Alaska Airlines requires the ammo to be locked in the gun case! Flying with your guns from the lower 48 to hunt in AK is about as easy as it gets. I personally like it although they may be the exception. Too bad we can't do that for Africa travel!

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunt99:

Alaska Airlines requires the ammo to be locked in the gun case! Flying with your guns from the lower 48 to hunt in AK is about as easy as it gets. I personally like it although they may be the exception. Too bad we can't do that for Africa travel!

They are Very firearm/ammunition friendly, but they do not "require" it to be locked in the gun case; they do allow it though.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Alaska Airlines requires the ammo to be locked in the gun case! Flying with your guns from the lower 48 to hunt in AK is about as easy as it gets. I personally like it although they may be the exception. Too bad we can't do that for Africa travel![/QUOTE]

Ya, I think they are one of two airlines that allow it with firearms. Some airlines allow it in original boxes but not locked and more and more are starting to require a separate locked container that can go in your regular luggage. If you fly overseas, pretty well count on a locked, separate container being mandatory. Many of the local airlines overseas won't even allow the container in your luggage and require you to check the ammo box separately....at additional cost. Some countries like Kyrgyzstan it's just not worth bringing ammo home.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote