New
Find
Notify
Tools

Max. number of rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have information about the maximum number of rifles you can take to Africa? Overnighting in Joburg and then on to Zim.
Last trip I took four but split them between my wife and I. Want to take three this time but all under my name. For you one rifle safari guys, please don't make me justify why I want to take three firearms.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Three used to be acceptable, but over the past few years some airlines have restricted it to two and some countries have also changed. Check with both your airline and the countries you will travel through and hunt. I believe the U.S. limit of personal firearms is still limited to three for export/import.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
SAA's new rules reportably say two rifles max on their airline.

That said, I believe that it's still legal to take three into South Africa. Other countries are all different -- I know that you can take three into Moz, but I'm not sure about current rules for anyone else.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
guns is like jello to many still an't enough rotflmo rotflmo lol

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Turner - Total Travel Solutions
posted Hide Post
As far as I am aware you may take 3 rifles with no problem provided they are of different calibers. South Africa Firearms rules state :

No automatic, semi-automatic firearms or military weapons are allowed
No firearms for self-defense allowed
Only one firearm per caliber allowed
Only 200 rounds of ammunition allowed per firearm
No handguns may be imported to South Africa without the necessary prior obtained permits
Person must be 21 years and older to enable them to import a firearm to South Africa

I could not find any information on South African Airlines website restricting the number of rifles in a guncase.

Delta posts the following on their website :

One gun case containing up to a total of four rifles or shotguns, plus shooting materials, and tools

though they do go on to say

An excess baggage fee will apply to cases containing more than two rifles.

Trust this helps.

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

Posts: 138 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got this, note only 2 rifles per case.

Sent: 02 March 2010 12:19 PM
Subject: SAA Regulations

Ladies and Gentlemen,

SAA have issued a directive on the transportation of sporting weapons and ammunition .

All sporting weapons must be packed and transported in an IATA approved lockable hard firearm case.

All firearms must be declared at the time of check in and must be handled via the designated firearm handling process,

It is advisable to place in the remarks section of the booking that the passenger is carrying sporting weapons and ammunition.

No more than two rifles per case per passenger keeping in mind the firearms must be of a different caliber.

Ammunition must be packed in a lockable box with a key or box with TSA approved combination lock and placed in the checked luggage.

A maximum of 5kgs (11lbs) is allowed per firearm carrying passenger.

Your adherence to these regulations is requested to avoid any misunderstanding and subsequent non compliance.

Delta has not passed comment but it is advisable to keep these regulations in mind if travelling on SAA or its code share partners within the SADAC states (Southern Africa)

Kind regards

Anne

Air 2000 (Pty) Ltd

Hunters Support Service.

27 11 659 2649 (Tel)

27 11 659 2931 (Fax)

27 882 770 2480 (Mobile)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of Us
Picture of Steve Turner - Total Travel Solutions
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update D. Nelson - I have sent this off to South African Airways sales office here in the US asking them to update the information on their website so others are aware of it!

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

Posts: 138 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well that's just dandy!!! I take a tuffpac so I can put more than two rifles in it and they change the rules. Wonder what the logic is with a max of two guns per case?? I'm guessing they still don't want the ammo in the rifle case. That's the safest place to carry it but that would make way too much sense..... Has the airline industry been taken over by the US govt???????

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Hey, don't complain. I have a four gun heavy diamond plate gun case that I used to take to Africa a number of years ago, loaded with three DR's and a shotgun in it. I couldn't even get close to the airport with it now. Tuff Pak's the way to go and two guns is what we're now living with. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
What an airline will allow can be different than what the destination country's government will allow.

Both are important to know.

For example, the "two rifles have to be of different calibers" rule is an RSA rule. Other African nations don't care if you bring in two rifles of the same caliber.

SAA seems to be wrongly insisting on the rule as a general matter, no matter the hunter's destination.

On the other hand, the "no more than two firearms per case per passenger" rule is an SAA rule.

It's important to know if you're flying on SAA, but it may be entirely inapplicable on other carriers.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13661 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the two rifle rule apply to handguns as well. Can I fly SAA with two rifles and a handgun for a total of three firearms?

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe has no legal limit but 'policy' is no more than five. SAA will alow 2 rifles and 2 handguns in the same case...so will Lufthansa...Just did it. But both stated firmly that only two rifles or shotguns per case.

Lufthansa charge seperately for a gun case- you can have up to two 'specail' bags for sporting goods so you could pay the extra and take 4 long guns on Lufthansa...and thn their code share partner (SAA) is obliged to carry them on to Zim...

I have also used a seperate lockable box just for ammo when I have th rifles in a tuffpack

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote