THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Data protection while traveling

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Data protection while traveling
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In a perfect world, everyone traveling across the world to go on safari would completely leave the worries of the world (and work) behind. If that isn’t realistic for you, or if you travel a lot for business, protecting your data should be a priority. Everything from your personal financial information, phone and email contacts, and confidential business information is on a hacker’s shopping list. When that hacker is working on behalf of a nation, it gets serious fast. However, there are some TTPs (tactics, techniques and procedures) you can employ to protect yourself and your data. Hopefully you’ll find useful some of the tips in this recent article of mine: CEO Counterespionage

I would be curious to learn what my fellow AR members already do to protect data while traveling. Have you had data compromised while traveling?

Mike

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I travel a lot and always carry at least one laptop. I store EVERYTHING on a removable drive like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And I carry it separately from my laptop. Should someone grab my bag, my data is safe. I also use cloud based storage like Dropbox as well.

When connecting to the internet, I tether from my cell phone and avoid public WiFi. Nothing is 100% safe, but staying off public networks is easy enough to do.

In regards to using the Internet to access banking informaiton, many banks offer asynchronous password tokens and dongles. They are another beneficial layer of security.

Of course changing your passwords on a continual basis and utilizing a 16 character random password generator like https://www.random.org/passwords/ is advisable. Password keeper software like Dashlane will help secure all your passwords. The worst thing you can do it write them down...

And finally, using a backup drive to store your files is the best protection against computer crashes and stolen drives.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opus1,

You're doing it right. If I may offer one suggestion, adding encryption to your flash drive increases it's security even more.

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do - BitLocker and VeraCrypt is another good one.

And for those who travel with a Tablet computer, you can store your data on a USB drive with one of these - https://www.amazon.com/CableCr...ro+USB+2.0+OTG&psc=1

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote