THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Frankfurt layover-what to do?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frankfurt layover-what to do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Going to Israel with spouse, two brothers and spouses, plus three other couples next April. On the return flight we are going to have a 10&1/2 layover in Frankfurt during the day. Any recommendations on things to do/see would be appreciated. No guns on this trip. TIA.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 489 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdwest
posted Hide Post
Frankfurt isnt much of a "tourist" town.. but there are some pretty decent things to see and do if you have a 10 hour layover..

there are some nice restaurants and some tourist/trinket type shops in the city center.. and and old "lock" bridge as well as a couple of museums all within walking distance of city center.. just getting out of the airport and grabbing a good German beer and a couple of good German sausages make it worth going into town IMO..

depending on your arrival and departure times, personally I think the best option is to leave frankfurt.. you can make it to Heidelberg in less than an hour by train, which you can catch at the airport in Frankfurt.. Heidelberg has some great architecture, a very cool old gothic castle, some great old gothic churches, a couple of nice museums, etc..etc.. It would be pretty easy to spend an hour on the train, then take 4-5 hours to tour Heidelberg, another hour to get back to the airport, and still give yourself plenty of time to get back through security and to your departure gate assuming the train schedule supported your arrival and departure times..

Posts: 65 | Location: DFW | Registered: 01 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
I've done this a couple times before - when traveling with the spousal unit, I just booked a extra day or two there, and stay in a nice hotel downtown, quick taxi ride, she loves the town, as do I.

You can go to heidelberg, book a driver and wine tour, go shopping tour old churches and museums, there's plenty to do, and the food is good too.

In Sept and Oct, go across the river to Offenbach and you can walk and drink all night if you want. Not just Octoberfest, but lots going on there after dark

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 351 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Me, I would go to the Fernbahnhof / train station and get a return ticket to Koln / Cologne. 60 minutes by train. Visit the historic Dom / cathedral, the main shopping mile, have a Currywurst or Bratwurst at one of the many Rhein river restaurants, go for a 90 minute barge trip up/down the Rhein, drink some Koelschbier and then catch a ICE train back to Frankfurt Flughafen. Trains go like every hour and - being Germany - are always on time.

Frankfurt itself is banks and business. Things to do and see for sure but Cologne is a blast by comparison imo.

Whatever you decide have fun!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the zoo there one day.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I agree with the train to Heidelberg. You could also take a train to Koln too. If you are Leica fan a trip to Leica world HQ plus old town in Wetzlar would be a great day trip.

Posts: 773 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did that route in 2009. I got a day room to shower and rest. Then I went in to town to walk around and get some food. Frankfurt lacks the character of most European cities, it is much more modern.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heidelberg ! No question. Its not far by train. It would be my choice and I have been there many times and still love it !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When in Frankfurt, leave asap. Nothing there at all.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a reason for that - it had the character bombed out of it.

"Frankfurt was severely bombed in World War II (1939–1945). About 5,500 residents were killed during the raids, and the once-famous medieval city centre, by that time the largest in Germany, was almost completely destroyed. It became a ground battlefield on 26 March 1945, when the Allied advance into Germany was forced to take the city in contested urban combat that included a river assault. The 5th Infantry Division and the 6th Armored Division of the United States Army captured Frankfurt after several days of intense fighting, and it was declared largely secure on 29 March 1945."[17] - Wikepedia

quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
I did that route in 2009. I got a day room to shower and rest. Then I went in to town to walk around and get some food. Frankfurt lacks the character of most European cities, it is much more modern.

Posts: 3783 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote