New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's Up With Air Namibia?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After doing the research and following the advice of a professional I decided to go the Frankfurt route to Windhoek instead of through South Africa. Sure it would cost more to fly through Germany but I would not have to overnight in SA and I would not have to worry about SAP forms during transit. Great. Two days ago when I contacted my travel agent with some questions I am notified that my Air Namibia flight has been cancelled for scheduled maintenance and I have been booked on a new flight the next day. Now I need to add an overnight in Windhoek, an overnight in Germany, a German firearms importation permit, and an extra day of travel - all at my expense. It looks like flying through Germany will end up costing me close to 50% more than South Africa. Is this common with Air Namibia?

Posts: 103 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at my last posting here.
Air Namibia

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am told by others who have done it that you can leave firearms at the airport "in bond" while you have a layover in Frankfurt. This avoids having to have any kind of import permit or manage them, other than to leave them with the airport authorities.

But can't you simply change your connecting flights to match the recently-limited Air Namibia schedule?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On our 1st safari in 2009 Air Namibia announced on Friday afternnon that my return flight was cancelled for maintenance & we would be rescheduled to return 1 day earlier.
I'M GOING ON MY 1ST SAFARI & THEY WANT ME TO LEAVE A DAY EARLY!!!!!!!!!!!! What were they smoking?
By the way I was leaving the next morning! Got to the airport an hour & twenty minutes earlier than our itenerary from our travel agent showed to find the flight had been moved up an hour, now I had only 20 minutes to unload, park the vehicle check-in with a firearm & make the flight. With the help of a very nice AA check in clerk we made it OK.
Gracy Travel & Marina Lamprecht of Hunters Namibia worked it out so that we got an extra day on safari instead of 1 less. We were not even Gracy clients on that trip (our local travel agent was no help whatsoever) but have used Gracy since.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was lucky to have bumped into the "change".
in my schedule. The travel agent did not inform me. I just got bumped a day early.
Scheduled connecting flight would have arrived 16 hours late.

Air Namibia news release Jan 10, 2013 about scheduled maintenance on a lease return. I booked on Jan 5, 2013

Why the booking department was not made aware??

I moved my arrival a day early to accommodate Air Namibia, thankfully the rest of the itinerary was able to shift as well.
Otherwise, I would be staying over with you in Frankfurt.
Sad, they are so poor at planning.

Posts: 177 | Location: Eastern Slopes of the Northern Rockies | Registered: 15 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
This is Africa guys, time and everyone else do not matter and every day is a challenge. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scriptus you make a very good point.
But we mere mortals that live in a world that is usually on some kind of schedule have difficulty dealing with things that we consider business & commerce not making sense or working at our pace.
When in the bush I am relaxed & can handle pretty much any unknown that comes my way, but when I'm trying to get there or back home, I want things to go as scheduled. (unless I'm the 1 that's late)
The real problem is that they never seem to ask me how they should do things, TIA. And even with the problems, I'm still going every chance I get.
Just another 165 days. HURRY-HURRY-HURRY!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
For most of "us" who on occasion get out of Africa, walk around seemingly deaf, wide eyed, spit dribbling and slack-jawed. That buses, trains and planes leave on time and go where they should. That at airports, gate 25 is where you are to board, and dammit, that is where you board, not gate 2, 3klms away, downstairs and it closes in 2 minutes. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would expect the SNAFUs on the ground but didn't expect them on the travel end. I'm learning.

Posts: 103 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BC3,
The EXACT same thing happened to me on an upcoming flight and it required the same fix as for you. The more I talk to people, the more I am finding out that Air Namibia is becoming more & more unreliable. I do prefer to go through Frankfort but did not want to overnight on the way back. Best thing to do is roll with it and enjoy the trip but remember the inconvenience next time around and deal with it then. Good luck on your hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention, I think Gracy Travel is the best outfit out there. The staff is first class!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am planning a hunt in Namibia in July. Both Gracy and Travel with Guns don't recommend going through Frankfurt because of the trouble that Air Namibia is having. Looks like I will go Atlanta--- Joburg, overnight, then to Windhoek. I think I am going to have to deal with Air Namibia on the flight to the Caprivi.