New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best malaria preventn meds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It's been almost 12 years since I have been to Africa. Next month I will be hunting in RSA and Zim. What is the best current malaria medicine? I don't remember what I used last time.

Thanks,

Tim Garrett
High Caliber Radio

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malarone, no side effects.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
Malarone, no side effects.

Absolutely! (well, other than on the wallet!) Not cheap but the best by far.

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malarone but it does mess with sleep in many people.

Posts: 11997 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
BEGNO: +3

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have polled several PharmD's (pharmacists with a PhD degree) and they all agree Malarone is the best and safest. Malarone makes me have vivid dreams, otherwise no side effects.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
I took Malarone in Zimbabwe last year with no side effects.Going back next year ,and will use it again

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I don't think Malerone was even on the market the last time I went over.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely Malarone - my entire family including my son took it with no side effects.

Stay far away from Larium - it can have very scary effects......

have a great trip

Posts: 37 | Location: western usa | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malarone. I have two more days of Malarone to finish up from my trip to Zambia. No side effects at all. My doc said to take with some type of fat,i.e., creame in your coffee, whole milk,sausage, etc for best absorption and less stomach problems.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished my 7 days of post-trip Malarone.

I had no side effects at all.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which is the once a week? Malarone or Larium?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Which is the once a week? Malarone or Larium?

once a week - Larium

once a day - Malarone

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Malarone.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Malarone +1 (twice) Smiler

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I have always used Mefloquine. take once a week starting a week before the trip and then three weeks after the trip.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't Mefloquine the same as Larium. Well which ever I have used the once a week for the last 10 yrs. I also take Doxy in a 50 day routine.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Yes, mefloquine (generic name) is Larium (brand name.)

Mefloquine is known for potentially severe side effects including vivid nightmares, disorientation, and anxiety, hallucinations, depression, unusual behavior, and suicidal ideations among others. Some cases of long term psychosis have been described but it is unclear if the drug was the cause or a contributing factor.

Of note is the fact that the U.S. military has stopped issuing Larium, long favored because of the once weekly dose. Malarone is used now.

I have used both. On Larium I had no issues or vivid dreams but did not sleep soundly. On Malarone I experienced no problems while taking the drug but did experience a mild depression for about a week when the course of treatment ended.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boabab
posted Hide Post
You are all correct. Some note no side effects some do. If comes down as to how each person reacts to the medication. Also it depends where you are going. Zambia, Zimbabwe, Caprivi, Botswana and Angola I would use some thing that cover all malaria straints. Please guys what ever you use be careful with Alcohol when you take the meds. Get your shots updated.
Have a great hunt.

Baobab Game Ranch/Caracal Safaris
www.baobab-safaris-namibia.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 30 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oday450, was it the meds or the fact you were not in Africa any more. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
You know I thought of that at the time and started to include it as a quip in the post Smiler.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Doxy is just easier. It's a lot cheaper, almost as effective when combined with Permethrin treated clothing and nets, and it is also handy to keep on hand for other bugs you might come in contact with. The last time I "bought" a batch it is because the cost was less than my insurance co-pay on meds.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I usually use Malarone but if I'm in an area with Cattle then the Antibiotic "Doxicyclin" also provides a good prevention for "tick bite fever" so prevalent in stock carrying country.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boabab
posted Hide Post
Doxy is good and Malarone I think most have little reaction to. Remember to take pre nd post as some bugs are a bit subborn!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
+1 for Doxycycline

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36686 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,
I thought you used gin as medication for skeeters!!!!!!!! rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boabab
posted Hide Post
Tonic/bitters is the important factor. Gin makes it taste better. Any bitters that has quinine in it. Angostura is good if mixed eg Rock Shandy.
Cheers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malarone for me on 6 trips now with no malaria and no side effects. I don't smoke or drink and don't go out with girls that do, Wink so that is not a consideration with taking the meds. I take Doxy along in case of tick bite fever, but don't take it on a daily basis because of the sun sensitivity issues associated with it.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boabab
posted Hide Post
Most of clients take Malarone. Tick bite fever I would wait until it is possitively diagnosed. No use taking med and you don't have the problem.Usually Tick-bite Fever is not dangerous. I have had it so has my husband and son. When you back in the States from a visit in Africa get bloods taken and get it checked.
In Europe it is another problem. There the Ticks don't like us! You get seriously ill!!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Doc said to take with some type of fat, i.e., cream in your coffee, whole milk, sausage, etc. for best absorption and less stomach problems.

Correct, I'm not much of Milk drinker at my age anymore but when I'm on Malerone I take it with a glass of Milk.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took Malarone, which gives me no I'll effects. But, I contracted tick fever.

My hunting buddy took doxycycline, and never got the tick fever.

We were hunting Natal Zululand RSA last March.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
used to take Larium( with absolutely no problems), but the last 3 hunts were in areas with a lot of ticks so switched to Doxy. no problems with it either( especially no sun sensitivity), so figure i will stick with it from now on. tick bite fever is not something to mess around with- i have seen one patient who damn near died from liver failure.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13180 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boabab
posted Hide Post
Meflium is also a Larium type!Symptoms of Tick bite Fever are not obvious and many think it is flu. In Europe Tick Bite Fever is dangerous and they have precautionary immunisation. The guys there get Maningitus in the turn of a hand.
Just be very careful with alcohol when taking the meds.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I used Malarone but gave up on it. Even though I took it first thing in the AM, I found I couldn't sleep at night when on that drug. I thought it was jetlag for the first few days, but then decided to stop the Malarone and had no problem sleeping from that point. Everyone is different, your mileage might vary.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2307 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boabab
posted Hide Post
To true!
It is such a difficult topic. Each one must decide as to what he thinks is best!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boabab:
To true!
It is such a difficult topic. Each one must decide as to what he thinks is best!

The actuaries employed by a drug plan I was once on chose malarone. They covered a higher percentage of the cost of malarone than any other drug I was prescribed for.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
Doc,
I thought you used gin as medication for skeeters!!!!!!!! rotflmo

That too! Smiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36686 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Doxy. No issues. Start 2 days before you're in "infected" area and continue for 2 weeks after leaving area. Simple and effective. I also like that it is an antibotic, therefore it will help is other "issues" that might put one out for a day or two. My 2 cents worth.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
quote:
My Doc said to take with some type of fat, i.e., cream in your coffee, whole milk, sausage, etc. for best absorption and less stomach problems.

Correct, I'm not much of Milk drinker at my age anymore but when I'm on Malerone I take it with a glass of Milk.

So, those who are lactose intolerant get to lose a bit of weight ? Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the the milk tip Scriptus. The dreaming I can deal with but the stomach problems have made me cut my daily dosage of malarone off, on several safaris, so I could contine my hunt.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote