New
Find
Notify
Tools

ammo components into RSA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife and I fly to RSA next friday. My PH has requested two boxes of bullets. (just the bullet component not full cartridges) I would be carrying these components in addition to the 5kg of ammo. Can anyone tell me if this is permissable? I will be flying Delta into JNB and would not expect that to be a problem, but I will be makeing a connecting (domestic) flight down to East London on SAA the next day. I'd like to do it but I don't really care to get involved in any shitstorms. What is the hive mind on this?

Posts: 75 | Location: Montgomery, AL | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think there is was a similar thread here in the last week or so.

I understand from Anne @Air2000 that any components imported must be declared in the same fashion as ammo, and must be of the same calibers as the rifles you are bringing with you.[if you really want to try this you should probably check with her for the latest rulings however!]

You MIGHT get away with not declaring them and /or bringing other calibers, but do you want to risk whatever hassle might develop on entry?

AND, for sure, you do not want to try taking reloading components into other countries [esp. Zimbabwe] without declaring them as ammo at entry.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Les,

That is the same answer I'm getting from other sources as well.

Posts: 75 | Location: Montgomery, AL | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
There is an alternative.

I sent reloading components, specifically bullets (no powder or primers), as a gift to my PH after my hunt in 2007 via US Mail. I explained patiently to the US Postal employee that this was NOT loaded ammunition. They accepted the package and, remarkably, he received the package and the bullets.

I will say, it was not cheap. As I recall the shipping cost as much as the bullets. But, he received some of the first boxes of Nosler E-Tips in in RSA!

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In addition, a search here on AR may lead you to Federal Regulations that may be violated by such an export.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote