THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Renting camera equipment in Africa ??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Renting camera equipment in Africa ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it possible to rent quality telephoto lenses in Africa (Tanzania, Kenya and South Africa) to supplement your camera equipment while on a photo safari?

Spending the cash for a quality piece of glass ($8K and up) is a tough sell.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I don't you can do that in any of the countries you have mentioned.

But, you can cut the cost of a good quality lense if you buy a cheaper lense.

I took a Sigma 50-500 lense with me this year, and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of results.

You can see that in my hunt report.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67036 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard of someone in SA near Southern end of Kruger NP who rents glass, I've seen the mention in some reports on another forum.

But why not just rent in the States and take it with you? Lots of rental places and often get a good monthly rate for top end glass depending how long you go for.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I am working with a guy that does professional videography.He capures the entire hunt of our clients on camera, does all the editing and producing and has the DVD with video of your hunt as well as a cd with the still pics at your doorstep within a month of your departure.Maybe it will be more economical to hire a guy like this for your trip?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1362 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:

But why not just rent in the States and take it with you? Lots of rental places and often get a good monthly rate for top end glass depending how long you go for.

+1

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
I checked with the local pro shop about rentals and most of the interesting lens go from $100 to $250 per day. Appears they charge about 5% or more of the purchase price per day on rentals.

It appears the service is really intended for the pro that needs a specific device for a day or some such.

coffee

Older rentals are less. Examples:

Nikkor 200-400mm F4G AF-S VR

Month is 12 x $65/day or $780
Weekly is 4 x daily or $260

Other examples:

Nikkor Digital 18-200 f3.5-4.5 DX AF VR $25
Nikkor 80-200mm 2.8D ED AF $25

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plenty of online places to rent them before you leave.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dont even consider it............not worth the headaches...rather bring whatever you need with you............hey...even better still...hire a pro to do all the dirty work for you............!!

Posts: 21 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 15 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captureyourhunt:
Dont even consider it............not worth the headaches...rather bring whatever you need with you............hey...even better still...hire a pro to do all the dirty work for you............!!

Fine idea, but I haven't worked with camera goodies for the last 25 years in my business to turn it over to some pro the first time I take my gear on vacation. Sorry.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 72 | Location: Annapolis MD | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what lens you are looking at for 8k---probably an extremely fast prime

Anyway, you can pick up a canon 100-400 L for less than 2k. Or a used one for around 1.2k.

You are shooting outside. You don't need an extremely fast 8k lens (2.8)

Use and sell it once you get back. (but I bet you won't)

L lenses keep their value.

Posts: 193 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boondoggle:
Try here, http://www.lensrentals.com/for-nikon
Excellent prices! For something like an 80-400 4.5/5.6 with VR, for 14 days, is $132 total!

Nikon 80-400

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the restictions on (1) the number of bags, (2) the size of bags, (3) the "security" of bags along with the weight and size of the better lenses ---- being able to fly with just a camera body and small zoom is attractive.

I have several of the Pro Nikon lenses and use them for shooting Club Soccer -- my favorite all-around long lens is the Nikon 200-400mm f4 but it's a beast to lug around at 8+ pounds and at $7K+ inconvenient to replace.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Lensrental.com is the only way to go! Can't say enough good things about them. Very accomadating on rates and shipping.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty --- they are a very good source for rental lenses but I live in Los Angeles and have a rental account (at industry rates) at several of the bigger rental houses in the area -- they have everything from fully equipted studios to props to wardrobe to models as well as lenses, bodies, flash, strobes, etc ----- and I already own the two lenses I'd like to have in Africa ----- BUT I don't want to take lug them,along with my rifle(s) to Africa, for the reasons listed above.

DB Bill aka Bill George