New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carry on rifle scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody recently had any trouble carring their quick release mount scopes in their carry on luggage when traveling to Africa?

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Numerous problems have been reported, both with TSA and in africa. I have personally seen scopes rejected in carry-on bags in africa.

I would recommend strongly against trying it. Find room in your gun case. I have never had an issue keeping my QR scopes mounted to my rifles in my TuffPak.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
peashooter,

What lion hunter said. Don't risk loosing your optics.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Amen. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken my scopes in my carry-on luggage for 12 trips now. There has never been an issue.

Bob

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I have had TSA turn me back here in the U.S.

I won't risk it again.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rifle scopes are not prohibited in carry-on bags and do not need to be in the hard-sided, locked checked bag.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-in...earms-and-ammunition

Every single hunter and gunowner should carry on a cheap scope and a printout of their website everywhere they fly. It will send a message and educate more TSA folks than any supervisor ever could.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
venda axe-
I think the aggregate of travelers with firearms in this thread far exceeds your 12 trips. But you keep putting your scope in your carry-on. Just don't post here when you have a problem.

Duckear-
Yeah, you be sure and show that TSA page to the RSA security officer. I'm sure he will be duly impressed. Let me know how that turns out for you.

It's AR, right? You say it's Friday and you'll get 6 people who will say you're wrong. Heh-Heh! nilly

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
venda axe-
I think the aggregate of travelers with firearms in this thread far exceeds your 12 trips. But you keep putting your scope in your carry-on. Just don't post here when you have a problem.

Duckear-
Yeah, you be sure and show that TSA page to the RSA security officer. I'm sure he will be duly impressed. Let me know how that turns out for you.

It's AR, right? You say it's Friday and you'll get 6 people who will say you're wrong. Heh-Heh! nilly

NHmmm, I never have seen a RSA security officer at Hartsfield in Atlanta. Where did I say it was okay on non-US airlines outside the US? Please, tell us where your carry-ons were screened at your destination?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
coffee

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
One has to ask why would anyone want to take a scope in their carry on luggage?

After all, it's not something you're going to need on the flight and it's not a problem to pack it in the rifle case so there's no reason to pack it in the carry on. bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a problem trying to leave Harare while carrying a scope on QD mounts. The gal wasn't going to let me take it and when I asked to see a supervisor, it was suddenly allright. I won't do it again but it worked with just a minor hitch once.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not carry your scope in your hand luggage it is simply too risky.
You might have no problems but if you have it you will loose your flights , pay briberies, .......
Find a place in your rifle case or in your checked luggage.

Posts: 208 | Location: PortugaL | Registered: 10 September 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been going on safari for 30 years.

I have never carried a spare scope and I have never needed one.

However, If I needed to take one, my carry one would be the last place to put it. Especially in the current travel climate.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67361 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always carry a spare -- never used it. But, I put it in my riflecase. If the rifle doesn't get there, I won't need it anyway.

Posts: 10125 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote