Find
Notify
Tools

Delta 200 April 4th?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
Anyone flying ATL to JNB on Delta 200 on April 4th or returning on April 18th on DL 201?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7551 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you up to this time, Ernest?

Posts: 20106 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Sable and bull elephant in Zimbabwe with Lou Hallamore, (as usual).

I'll first fly to Victoria Falls for a day and pay respect to The Smoke That Thunders (should be roaring with the recent rains?) and have a meal on the porch of the Vic Falls hotel. Can hardly go to Africa and miss that, can I?

BTW, I lucked up and got seats in the front for 160,000 points. 12:00 a.m. on the 330th day before the date of departure (and return, respectively) I "bought" one way flights, BQK to JNB and the same for JNB to ATL 15 days later, each for 80,000 points. Round trip tickets weren't available because the return was more than 330 days out so the two one-way tickets were required. If I'd waited for 330 days both way, the price was 375,000 points. Well worth getting out of bed a couple of times.... so I can have a bed on the long flights, I guess. Big Grin

Also, while doing some research, if you don't mind Air France (a Delta Partner) and 15 daylight hours in Paris (28 minutes to Notre Dame from CDG on the train), I could have bought flights from IAD to JNB for $3100 Business Class, and then bought coach back-and-forth to home for about $140. Probably not a bad option for the future at just twice what Premium Economy costs on Delta on my usual routes through ATL and Delta 200. Of course, tickets at those prices are limited and you have to strike while the iron is hot. Today, the same tickets on the same dates would cost $8000. Wow!!!!!

I shot my .375 Flanged Magnum Verney-Carron some yesterday. With the Swarovski 1-4x scope, I got a three-inch cluster of mixed ammo (Nosler Solids, Corbon TSX, Nosler Partition and Woodleigh Solid and Soft Norma brand (all 300 grain factory stuff). With irons, the Nosler monolithic solids were touching at 35 yards. V-C's ain't so bad.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Good luck Earnest, have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Mike

Posts: 21302 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm already looking forward to a vivid hunt report!!!

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Have fun Ernest!

I'll be in OR Tambo on April 26th, 9:00 AM - Noon and back again on May 4th 1:30 PM until 6:00 PM.

So far I've met Mike H in Windhoek and Karl Stumpf at Tambo and Jaeger Frank in camp in Zimbabwe.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12559 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Ernest: What a fabulous trip! tu2 I too love staying at the old Vic Falls Hotel, eating there and enjoying high tea out on the veranda! Nothing quite like it! Big Grin Have a great time and good luck on your hunt with Lou! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quick question. What is your connection time in ATL?

My flight only has a 55 min connect time, and I am a little worried about my checked baggage (i.e. rifle) getting on the plane in time.

Thanks.

BH63

BTW Sable and ellie make for a dream hunt IMO (especially if you add on a buff).

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I have almost 3 hours connection time. Anything less, I can't drink enough booze to make my Delta Club card worth it. Cool

Actually, I fly through ATL quite often and sometimes have less than an hour between planes. I haven't had a bag not make a plane in years (at least at that airport). Remember, you can scan your baggage receipt and using the Delta app follow the progress of your bags.

I'd be more afraid of missing the flight because of a late arrival than slow baggage transfers during the 55 minutes.

Just my experience, for whatever that counts???

And, if you miss DL200 for whatever reason and are traveling with firearms, don't let them put you on a flight to Amsterdam unless you have a Dutch permit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. With just hours to go, I'm sure your anticipation level is off the charts.

Good hunting and stay safe.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for a great hunt.
Your hunt reports have always been one of this forums highlights for me.
Safe travels.

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Ernest. Lunch at the VFH should be awesome. Have fun, shoot straight and enjoy.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG

It was a pleasure chatting with in the passport line in O R Tambo. I look forward to reading your hunt report upon your return.

Happy hunting
Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:

Actually, I fly through ATL quite often and sometimes have less than an hour between planes. I haven't had a bag not make a plane in years (at least at that airport).

Well, Ernest...you know you probably jinxed yourself with that post.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2785 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Not yet!

Bag and short Tuffpak are in room 4 at Afton Guest House as I read my Kindle awaiting my eggs and bacon in the dining room. SAA flight 40 to the Falls in four hours.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are right on track!

BH63

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
My head is on the pillow at Ilala Lodge in Vic Falls about to call it a day. Flight up on SAA was perfect. First in line for a visa, first getting a gun permit and first out the door. Walked down to the Falls, did a booze cruise and had butternut squash at the Victoria Falls Hotel.

There have been worse days for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeeez, I am jealous.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jeeez, I am jealous.

Me too...except for the Butternut Squash part :-)

Posts: 20106 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are having a great trip so far, and the best is yet to come!

These day-by-day updates are nice. Too bad you won't have internet access (I'm assuming) in the bush.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Sounds like you are off to a great start!

Look forward to the report!

Safe and happy hunting !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2268 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Other than falling down in front of the Kingdom hotel in Vic Falls and breaking a rib, I'm having a great time and do have Internet access in the camp.

It's rainy and unseasonably cold right now. The biggest sable we saw today was about 38 inches and I'm holding out for a 40. The elephants seem to be somewhere else but I've got my fingers crossed. This did not start off as an elephant hunt but just an opportunity if I saw one. We'll see how that works out . I am going to name my new cabin/wedding venue Sable House and that's the excuse/ reason I'm came to try to find one here for the wall. I'd love to have one that TCI can do in bas relief . If any of you saw them on display in Dallas or Vegas, they are magnificent and don't take up too much space.

It is probably crazy as hell to bump around in a Land Cruiser with a broken rib, but heck, you only get to live once. You could be amazed what a little ingenuity will do with duct tape.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Holy crap man, take it easy! (But have fun!) tu2

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
You know you're in a good place when Glenlivet is the Scotch at the bar. Helps with the broken ribs, for sure. Zebra for the floor in the new cabin and a ewe impala for biltong and a tenderloin braai. Both with the V-C .375 flanged double at 100 yds plus. Missing the Masters, but life has its sacrifices.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Spieth leads by 5 going to the back 9 on Sunday and then goes bogey, bogey and then quadruple bogies the 12th hole.

I haven't seen a meltdown like that since "Tin cup"

The good news was watching three aces on the 16th.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12559 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote