THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Africa travel experience: Nov 10-Nov 24

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Africa travel experience: Nov 10-Nov 24
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I wanted to share my travel experiences on my 4th trip to RSA.

Round trip was Delta - Austin to Atlanta to Joberg and back. More on RSA domestic flights below.

Austin
1. From when I got off the parking bus to through security: 24 minutes. Not bad
2. One of my bags was slightly over 50 pounds, they didn't charge me an overcharge.
3. 2 rifles, one case.

Atlanta
1. My first visit to their new international terminal. It was nice.
2. Bought day pass to Delta club for $50. Worth it due to the long layover I planned in the event the Austin to Atlanta flight was delayed.

Atlanta to Joberg flight
1. First time for me on the 777-200LR. Very nice and great condition.
2. Purchased economy comfort, 3rd row back in couch. Video screen wouldn't play movies, etc; but I had my iPad and some books, was good.
3. I can never sleep comfortably on airplanes, even in business or first. I kept changing to the "least painful" position to sleep
4. Decent food.

Joberg
1. My original trip got changed, so I arrived at the police office cold turkey with my 520 form. They had to enter in, etc. 30 minutes total time. Not bad. They didn't even want to check my ammo. I also discovered later that they marked down 458 Caliber twice, when one of the rifles was a 404. Didn't matter, no one ever checked, they just looked at serial #s.
2. I didn't have a meet a greet, but Lucky from Gracy recognized me from 3 years ago and helped me out.
3. I overnighted at African Moon. Had a good dinner and bfast included. My room was along the street and very noisy. Very clean. The driver was named Bright. Helpful fellow.

Joberg to Phalaborwa
1. Quick check-in; Lucky helped me. Had to pay a $20 overweight fee. I don't remember them checking my firearms serial #s, just checking the license.
2. Quick flight, landed in Phalaborwa (small airport). Guy there checked the serial #s on the rifle. Took 2 minutes.

Polokwane to Joberg (coming back home)
1. Looks like they redid the airport for the World Cup in 2010. We had a drink in the airline lounge. Looks likes they were trying to copy a club from the original Shaft movie. Even had a jacuzzi in the corner you could set in and watch TV.
2. The police checked my gun serial #s when I checked in. When his buddy came in and shut the door I thought "here comes the ask for money", but np. The policeman seemed pretty sharp.

Joberg Arrival
1. Waited in room in domestic luggage claim area for rifle case. The lady was very nice and we chatted while we waited for her colleague to bring the rifle case. She asked for a "a little something" - ie money - when I was ready to leave. I told her I didn't have anything to give her. They let it go thankfully. They were not police, but airport employees. They did not check the rifles either. I just had to sign a book.
2. I exited with my luggage and rifle case. Met Lucky again and then ate lunch at the Keg while I waited for the Delta check-in to open. My luggage was outside with a guy watching it. I gave him a tip when I left on my own. I could also see the area, so if someone tried to move them, I would have seen it.
3. Checked in at Delta. Had to go back with a Delta employee and insert the US/TSA declaration form that the rifles were not loaded. Never had to go through SAP or anything else. Again, no serial # check, etc.
4. Had an empty seat between me and a professor from U of Denver that studied lemurs and bush babies in Madagascar and Africa. He had a big lemur tattoo on his left forearm!

Atlanta
1. Things went smoothly, especially with global entry.
2. The US Custom guys that checked the rifles, and the guy that cleaned my shoes later, all wanted to hear about my hunt.
3. I had one porcupine quill in my luggage and they had to check on the max allowance. One guy thought 4, another 10. Anyway, no issues.

Austin
1. No issues.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for the detailed report.

I am sure it will be helpful to someone.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66957 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote