New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Miles for Travel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went on my first trip to Zim last fall, now dreaming about 2013. Flew Delta economy comfort last trip, was OK. Would like to upgrade next time. I got an AE card with Delta miles last year, but will not have enough miles for BC for several more months. According to an AA rep I talked to last week, there is now an embargo from the entire EU for Zim, which means no firearms. BA is an AA partner, but that doesn't help me if I have to fly through London and BA won't allow firearms to be taken. Anyone used AA miles to get to Zim recently? Any way to "get there from here" with firearms? I would be willing to overnight in Joburg if necessary.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that I have over 700K AA miles, that's why I would like to find a way to get there on American or one of their partners.

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use your miles to book the trip to Johannesburg. Book the transfer to Zimbabwe seperately and you will not have any problem.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any recommendation on which travel agency to use (e.g., Steve Turner, Gracy)?

one of us
posted Hide Post
drj;

I tried using AA miles and this is what happened.... American will not allow you to fly into London with firearms, however, British Airways will allow you to fly into London with firearms and on to Jo'berg, but you can't use your AA miles. It's a catch 22. If you fly without firearms, no problem with American to London and then BA to Jo'berg and SAA to Zim.

Use one of the travel agents recommended above and you should not have any problems with sorting this out. You'll probably not use AA miles though.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
It's been almost 3 years since I took my family to South Africa, but we all flew on AAdvantage miles, and we took two rifles with us. Flew San Francisco to London to Joburg and returned the same way. We did have problems with our guns on American in London, but were later told that's an American Airlines issue, not a British issue. They solved it for us by changing us over to British Airways from American for our leg home from London.

I don't know if things have gotten worse or not, but I'm sure if you went through Steve Turner or Gracy that they'll know.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
drj
Call Gracy Travel & ask for Shawn.
She'll make it easy for you.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
It has been five years, but Kathi Klimes booked my last trip with AA miles.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote