Find
Notify
Tools

Range bag as a carryon.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Has anyone used/converted a range bag to a carryon. I have a bag I rarely use and want to convert it to a camera/laptop bag.

It was used to carry live and fired ammo a while back.

Rich

Posts: 6389 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
richj - Most likely this bag will still contain some nitrates from the prior use and might not make it through todays screening process. Maybe a good cleaning would solve this but don't think I would bet the farm on it making it on board.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
richj - Most likely this bag will still contain some nitrates from the prior use and might not make it through todays screening process. Maybe a good cleaning would solve this but don't think I would bet the farm on it making it on board.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Over 10 years ago at Boston Logan, they were experimenting with a ,then, new sniffer.
I had just come from a shoot in New Hampshire.

The thing went off and I was surrounded.

The Boston/Logan PD were not amused when they asked me what I'd been doing and where I'd been and I responded "Shooting".

(Even though I explained in detail the event and location ,AND I as still wearing my shooting jacket and the same clothes, it seemed the only word heard was "Shooting" they were absolutely fixated on it and repeated it incessantly in seemingly every question.)

Missed my flight.

My guns had been checked through from the commuter flight out of Lebanon NH , the mere fact that the guns were on the airport seemed to greatly un-nerve them.

The guns were pulled off the aircraft. there were no more flights to Dallas that day.

I was told I could not leave the airport (other than by air)or my weapons would be confiscated.
(Very much a get out of town by nightfall situation.)

The airlines was most helpful, actually. (understanding I was displeased with them) I was rerouted via Minneapolis, which was the next available flight.

I later received a letter from the airline expressing their apologies.

I can barely imagine the reaction in today's post 9/11 mindset-- Eeker

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could probably get through, after being "hand-checked" etc. I don't think it's worth the price.
My camera bags have more padding than my range bags anyhow!!!!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My range bag has been my carry-on for years. It's been through the toughest security in the US and Europe - through every kind of sniffer, X-ray, hand Check, the patch test, etc. No one's ever batted an eye much less asked about it ...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Obviously more potential hassle than it is worth. Buy a regular carry-on.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once when flying to Alaska I was using my hunting day pack as my carry on.

It set off the explosives detector, and everyone was quite nervous, till it was seriously searched.

I have not used it since as a carryon.

My favorite carryon bag is made by Patagonia.

It is called the MLC [Maxium Legal Carryon].

It has hidden added strapes that you can use like a backack in the airport so you can handle your other bags. I have been using it for several years and it has held up very good.

I have carried as much as 48 lbs in it on many occasions.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Here's the bag. Galati RB

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Rich,

Obviously more potential hassle than it is worth. Buy a regular carry-on.

Mark

thumb Couldn't agree more!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me add that the Patagonia MLC fits in to the overhead bin of any plane 727 and up.

It is easy to carry down the isle while enroute to your seat, even if it weighs 48 lbs. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Even better, try finding out when your bag goes through the X-Ray that you have a fired .416 shell casing stuck in the bottom of the bag. That will get people's attention really quick! Or forgetting that you have a fillet knife in your day pack that you're using as a carry-on. Trust me, I know.

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I attended a shooting seminar in Salt Lake City hosted by Action Target and opted to use my Eagle range bag as a carry on. It spent four days sitting around a lot guns being fired promiscuously while loaded with ammo for rifle, pistol and shotgun. Cool

Flying out of Charleston WV with guns is easy, you just have to explain where you're going and what you're hunting and promise to bring back pictures. Wink The folks at Salt Lake City airport were a bit more grim...

Big line at checkin and bomb sniffers everywhere. I explained to the TSA lady that I had been attending a shooting school and there might be traces of gunpowder on my bag. She looked at me like I owed her money, swabbed the case, ran it thru the analyzer thingie and then said "NEXT!!!". Ok dokie, off I went...

I've graduated to a Columbia "Packmandu" backpack/carryon bag. It just seems safer and there aren't as many places for spent cartridges to hide. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Over 10 years ago at Boston Logan, they were experimenting with a ,then, new sniffer.
I had just come from a shoot in New Hampshire.

The thing went off and I was surrounded.

The Boston/Logan PD were not amused when they asked me what I'd been doing and where I'd been and I responded "Shooting".

(Even though I explained in detail the event and location ,AND I as still wearing my shooting jacket and the same clothes, it seemed the only word heard was "Shooting" they were absolutely fixated on it and repeated it incessantly in seemingly every question.)

Missed my flight.

My guns had been checked through from the commuter flight out of Lebanon NH , the mere fact that the guns were on the airport seemed to greatly un-nerve them.

The guns were pulled off the aircraft. there were no more flights to Dallas that day.

I was told I could not leave the airport (other than by air)or my weapons would be confiscated.
(Very much a get out of town by nightfall situation.)

The airlines was most helpful, actually. (understanding I was displeased with them) I was rerouted via Minneapolis, which was the next available flight.

I later received a letter from the airline expressing their apologies.

I can barely imagine the reaction in today's post 9/11 mindset-- Eeker

Sorry you had such a lousy experience. I've flown with firearms many times out of Logan, and I've never had problem one. Many have been post 9-11.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is 3 times as hard to get into my office as it is to go thru the airport. Multiple X-rays, nuclear material monitors, metal detectors, Ion-Scan swabs, etc. Never had a problem after shooting, reloading, or blackpowder events.

If you really want to use that bag, run it thru the washer and it will be fine. Probably won't even require that much.

They sure will check for a loose round, tho!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:

Sorry you had such a lousy experience. I've flown with firearms many times out of Logan, and I've never had problem one. Many have been post 9-11.

Commuted through to NH for 3 years, began using the Philadelphia connection exclusively after that even though it meant a longer turboprop ride.

Boston/Logan PD apparently did not like my "Sniper Rifles" (their term not mine).

The reaction was in "1998 terms" beyond reason IMHO, and beyond any thing I had encountered.
(And, I flew a great deal with weapons back then.)

Perhaps the scenario was "so new" their reaction plan was yet in its infancy.

They even opened my bottle of Chateau Gruaud Larose CRYBABY as a suspect container , it was in my range bag/carry-on.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm just a smart ass mood today, but.... why don't you push the envelope a little more...... pack a replica gun (taken apart and in pieces) and rub it in gun powder and then pack it in your carry on. Gee whiz, let's see how much fun this will be.

Go to Goodwill and buy a $3 bag for God's sake !!!!

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I can't. I hide my coke in the replica gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Flew out of Spokane a few years ago to an east coast destination. The airport scanner alerted to fired rounds in my jacket pocket. TSA asked if I had any ammunition with me, answered truthfully I didn't think so but had been shooting so there was a small possibility of a stray case. TSA did a double check with the X-Ray, confirmed the rounds had been fired and sent me on to the gate. TSA did say if it had been a live round I would have spent some time answering questions. Good personnel at the airport in Spokane.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:

They even opened my bottle of Chateau Gruaud Larose CRYBABY as a suspect container , it was in my range bag/carry-on.

Mad Will the savages stop at nothing?

Sorry to hear they busted your cookies. Ignorance ain't bliss.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote