THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Rifle Scopes in Carry on Bag
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Scopes in Carry on Bag
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted
I checked with Delta Airlines on this. They were OK with it, but informed me that TSA is who calls the shots. I then called TSA @ 866-289-9673 and asked the question. The answer is NO, Rifle Scopes are now considered Gun Parts and are not allowed in carry on bags. Also the Sawyer Brand Tick spray for clothing is not allowed in checked or carry on luggage. So Spray your clothes before you go and pack your Scope in your Gun Case or Checked luggage.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That is truly an idiotic policy.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Yes, considering Spotting Scopes and Binoculars are allowed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem last time I was going over to Africa. The PH asked me to pick up a couple of scopes for him, Cabelas called me asked some questions and when I told them they were for someone in Africa they said they could not sell them to me as they were considered gun parts.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
Scopes are optical sights for guns and fall under the classification "Articles of war".

But, this is the first I've heard about not being able to carry them in your carry on.

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carried my spare scope in my carry on bag when I was in Africa in March. No one said anything about it. This is either new since I was there or they missed it both ways.

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
There is a good chance they didn't know what it was, or some TSA people have common sense and some don't.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have had clients turned around at SAA security in JNB because they had their scopes in their carry-on. Fortunately they were able to return to the firearms check and place them into their rifle cases.

BEST TO TRAVEL WITH YOUR SCOPES ATTACHED TO THE RIFLES.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ran into this at O'Hare in '04, had a backup scope in my carry-on. X ray operator flagged it, supervisor said no go, had to go in the tuffpak. The binoculars were OK Confused

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had problems with a scope mount only, no scope or gun, that I purchased while out of town and tried to bring home on a domestic flight. Four security types standing around scratching their heads, surrounding this dangerous article of war. Final word...no go.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Culpepper:
Cabelas called me asked some questions and when I told them they were for someone in Africa they said they could not sell them to me as they were considered gun parts.

Cabelas doesn't sell scopes because they are gun parts?!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I've always carried a few backup scopes, along with my cameras etc., in my carryon luggage. I've never imagnined that it would be a problem and have never had anyone question me about it.

That said, both the TSA and the airlines can question anyone about almost anything and, if they have a mind to do it, they can make one's life miserable -- most especially when you're on a hunting trip. Accordingly, I try to keep a smile on my face and remain friendly and relaxed when dealing with any of them. Who knows? But, I think that it helps make up their minds about things they might question.

The Sawyer spray is another matter entirely. With a prohibition on aerosals in checked luggage and a limit of just 3oz. containers of liquids in carryons, it never has occured to me to try and fly with my trusty cans of Sawyer clothing spray. I'd be amazed if they, in fact, found it in my luggage -- but, I'd rather not take the chance - spray the clothing at home instead. If they stop me for the spray can, they might take th eopportunity to question something else -- like my scopes. LOL

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
quote:
Cabelas called me asked some questions and when I told them they were for someone in Africa they said they could not sell them to me as they were considered gun parts.

Cabelas doesn't sell scopes because they are gun parts?!

Cabelas would not sell those scopes to me since they knew what I had planned for them. Now everytime I order something from them they call me and question me.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
[Cabelas would not sell those scopes to me since they knew what I had planned for them. Now everytime I order something from them they call me and question me.

For the life of me I can't imagine why they would even give it any thought. I've never been questioned on the intended use or gifting of any product I have purchased, especially via mail order. Is there more to this story?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
quote:
[Cabelas would not sell those scopes to me since they knew what I had planned for them. Now everytime I order something from them they call me and question me.

For the life of me I can't imagine why they would even give it any thought. I've never been questioned on the intended use or gifting of any product I have purchased, especially via mail order. Is there more to this story?

No more to the story except that they were pretty expensive scopes and I guess they were calling to make sure they were what I wanted. When they found out I was buying them for someone in Africa they would not sell them to me saying it was against TSA regs, which was news to me. Now I guess they have tagged my account because of that and now question me everytime I make an order.

Good Hunting,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Culpepper:
When they found out I was buying them for someone in Africa they would not sell them to me saying it was against TSA regs, which was news to me./QUOTE]

Good to know they have such a strong moral compass! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scopes are optical sights for guns and fall under the classification "Articles of war".

Correct.

Don't Kill the Messenger here I'm only the mouthpiece.

Yes, it's both the Department of State or Department of Commerce who control exports from the US for such "Implements". I remain a bit confused myself on which one is responsible for Optics and the other for such items as replacement Spare Parts, such as magazines, triggers, trigger guards, front & rear sights, barrels, etc.

quote:
I've never been questioned on the intended use or gifting of any product I have purchased, especially via mail order. Is there more to this story?

Yes, there is.....

You'll get the same response from any US Remchester company or Mail Order business when reqeusting even the most mundane "implement" or spare part for the stated purpose of taking it out of the country - period.

Includes Reloading Dies, Shellholders, Brass, Bullets & Scope Mounts too.

You'll be flagged; example; every Order placed (by myself, obviously living abroad) receives a Fax or telephone call from the Provider querying the end user & location followed by a Consent Form to be signed informing me I'm reponsible for Export Regulations (including Sanctions) and the ensuing Export Permit Form (with additional cost of course). This only if the Provider will do such or offers this service. Other than Brownells; most simply refuse and cancel the Order.

As to TSA's policies - well, they get enforced to the letter; sometimes a bit over-zelously.

I've also previously carried Scopes in Carry-On but not any more. Currently decided the better decision (for them, not me) is in Hold Baggage as getting back through Security to the Check-In Counter, re-claiming & re-packing a bag simply isn't in the Cards - then you're Stuck! Cameras & Binocular always get the Nod.

Speaking of....some Airport X-Ray Screening Machines are also equipped with "Sniffers". Foolishly decided to back my Goodies for a Hunting Trip in my Range Bag (one time). Yeah, the one I use every weekend to take my Stuff back & forth to the Range with all the residue in it - set off an alarm whose immediate response only had to be witnessed in the Screening Area although it contained nothing Untowards. That was an enlightening experience. Yes, I fianlly got it on an airplane but the pain of that Screening won't go away any time soon, either.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aholz
posted Hide Post
I have experienced no problems traveling with scopes in my carry-on. But on my return flight from Windhoek both of my tripods were stolen from my checked bags. Either it happened in Namibia or in Frankfurt. Most likely one of the security baboons took them out for an “extensive inspection”. Probably they will be listed on E-Bay soon...BOOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend told the story of someone going to England for a Sporting Clays Tournament. The guy had choke tubes in his carry on. No problem here, BIG problem there! They were considered "gun parts" and should have been "declared/checked" etc. Finally got through and got to keep the chokes.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got similar problems with Cabelas (and other suppliers too). They canceled my order.

I did point out that the scope in question was made in Austria, Europe, and that shipping destination was Switzerland, Europe. Next door neighbours. I expressed - in gentle words - that to my simple soul, it seemed quite idiotic that a Europe-manufactured scope could not be sent back to Europe for "security" reasons.

From the replies I got at the time, it seems that common sense and humour are in very short supply among all the sellers I contacted. Don't want to investigate the same common sense/humour state of affairs in the bureaucratic machine...

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the suppliers are being watched by a government that not only has no sense of humor, but loves to harass sellers of "gun parts".

For those of you who pack a rifle scope in checked luggage how do you protect it?

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I wrap it in Bubble Wrap and then wrap clothes around it. I also have it on my Gun Insurance policy. When the government makes us pack them in our checked bags, it makes it easy for them to get stolen. In a sense the Government helps provide "Articles of War" to criminals.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Wonder if you could bungie two scopes together and claim they were bino's?
sofa

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, thanks for the heads up.
I've been carrying some of my scopes in carry-on. I was stopped once in Colorado by TSA four years ago, they went and retreved their manual and said rifle scopes were OK and showed me where it was written in the manual. They must have made some changes in the past few years. Again, thanks.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I have sent an e-mail to TSA requesting they change there ruling on this. It might help if they are flooded with e-mails on this??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would a leupold scope ordered from midway in germany be blocked from shipment to another country?

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Is it TSA or how different employees with each airline interpret the TSA regs, and each airlines policies.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just back from Zim via DullesJoburg/bulawayo and no questin asked about the spare Leo in my carry on. Even had it in the original box.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted Hide Post
I was flying out of Bozeman, Montana, with a brand new Leupold still in its box in my carry-on. After waiting in a very long line at security, and with only a few minutes before departure, the TSA guy takes the scope out and says it's a gun part, so it can't go in my carry-on. He tells me that my options are to leave the line and take care of the scope in some other way, thereby missing the last flight that day, or to forfeit the scope to TSA.

To my great relief and good fortune, my wife, who was not flying that day, was still standing on the other side of the security rope not far away. I pointed her out to the TSA guy and said I'd just have to leave it with her. He could hardly hide his disappointment as he watched that new scope go safely to her while I got to my flight on time. Ever since that suspicious episode, I never pack a scope in my carry-on bag.

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kaizer,

The TSA guy let you go on the plane with your TRIGGER FINGER on your hand?

These guys are getting careless, it seems.......

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I have to wonder now if Range Finders and/or Binoculars are allowed in my carryon bag?

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys01:
I have to wonder now if Range Finders and/or Binoculars are allowed in my carry on bag?

I've carried binos and range finders through customs on several occasions and never had a question. I did have them listed on the 4457 just in case it was needed however.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Yes, So have I along with my Rifle Scopes in the past.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys01:
I have to wonder now if Range Finders and/or Binoculars are allowed in my carryon bag?

I think they're okay because they don't attach to the guns.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
They're fine. I always carry those in my carry-on bags only.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two points being German: the attitude of Cabelas is generally not acceptabel and I also -much more important- I will never understand why you have to tell them for whom the scopes are for?! Simply buy them and bring them, nobody will worry.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is just another exsample of the lack of common sence in this counrty. and It's absoulty none of the stores business what your going to do with a scope. I have been asked questions like that before and i refuse to tell them anything and ask them if they want my business or do they want me to bill from some one else. and a little duct tape and a couple of hose clampes would make two scopes into a wondeful red neck binocks pisserson emmm BOOM hilbilyhitem in the head see if they have any baawannnzzzzzz hilbily

Iam makeing a large grip sleeve for a glock for a friend of mine in Africa and Im going to send it as a handle inlarger. coffee

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several European friends who have bought rifle scopes in the U.S. and taken them to their home country in checked baggage with no problem. I was TOLD that the "restriction" to export has to do with scopes that have a mil-spec. I´ve been searching for some offical written clarification without success. Anyone have any info.
Also, any thoughts on bringing rifle scopes from other countries into the U.S. in checked baggage?

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabelas can be funny...

A couple of months ago, I ordered floor mats for my jeep to be delivered to Miami. They emailed me to ask whether I intended to take them to Mexico. I told them that I thought that that was none of their business. They told me it was a Federal Crime to take the floor mats into Mexico (???) and that they needed me to declare I wouldn't do it. After many emails they agreed to send the damned mats. I took those dangerous weapons with me on the plane to Mexico and nobody said anything. I hope the Mexican army does not discover them and I end up in jail...

The world is becoming weirder everyday, particularly for hunters...

Antonio

Posts: 98 | Location: Mexico | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Scopes in checked baggage, No Problem as for TSA. They say not in carry on as they are considered Gun Parts.