THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Taking Prescription Meds to RSA and Zim

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking Prescription Meds to RSA and Zim
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have meds I have to take every day or I will die in 3 to 7 days (Immune system suppressants). I also take pain killers for arthritis.

In the USA prescription meds have never been a problem when going through security or customs, but I wonder if anyone has ever had any trouble transiting through Jo'burg or Bulawayo with prescriptions drugs?

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take a very small dose of blood pressure med daily, along with Aleve for arthritis, a baby aspirin, and fish oil everyday, and that's what I took to Africa 3 times so far. Haven't had any issues whatsoever, and I keep it in my carry on.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can take prescription meds. You should have a copy of the prescriptions signed by your Dr. Make sure your meds and the letter from Dr. Are with your carry on. You will be fine. I have traveled with my meds many times with no issues at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just get a written note from your doctor, describing what meds you take, and keep it on you.You shouldn't have to worry, your there to have a great time!

Posts: 561 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Recommend you take your meds in their original prescription containers (or in their OTC bottle/package) instead of putting them in some generic container--i.e., like a 7-day morning/evening pill box or something else that's not "official."

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1550 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In general, prescriptions are not an issue, but it would help to be a bit cognizant of the rules in another country.

As an example, the allergy pill Benadryl is over the counter in the US, but is a controlled substance in Zambia.

I would be very cautious about taking narcotics like Percocet or Tylenol with codiene over there without at least checking with someone from that country that they don't have issues with you bringing a small amount with appropriate documentation. Ideally their embassy would be able to answer that.

Posts: 10735 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem in SA, ZIM, NZ, or the US. Never even been asked. I do agree about the original comtainers. No sense looking to start a conversation.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've been to Africa 11 times. RSA, Zim, Namibia and Botswana. I get headaches often and take a prescription med for relief. I normally pack all my prescription meds in their original bottles but my OTC stuff just goes in old med bottles with labels removed. I take quite a selection of various OTC headache meds with me and have never had anyone question me. All the meds are packed in my carryon.

I did have one customs guy in Namibia question me about some packs of Lance snack crackers that were in my carryon. He just didn't understand what they were. I opened a pack and ate one cracker and gave him the rest. That solved the problem.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2314 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the good advice.

My pain meds (for arthritis) I can live without (albeit painfully). My immune suppressants are vital to my survival. I will certainly use the original prescription containers and get a note from my doctor for the immune suppressants.

BTW Does anyone know the best current anti-malarial medicine now prescribed? I think I used Malarone back in 2004, but there might have been improvements since then.

Thanks.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malarone is the standard of care.

If you are not worried about a photo sensitivity reaction, doxycycline works and has the benefit of preventing some tick borne illnesses.

Posts: 10735 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a form from our local health department that had places for a list of my vaccination records and prescription meds that my physicians office completed and I carry it with my passport, but I also carry them [prescription meds} in their original bottles. I had a stretch where I was having Kidney stones and I traveled with narcotics with me just in case and never had a problem with the original bottle and a copy of the prescription in hand.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Malarone is the standard but I tried it once and found I couldn't sleep while on the drug. It just kept me up all night. The only way I could get some sleep was to take a sleeping pill (Ambien). I stopped taking the Malarone and immediately the problem when away. I now use Doxycycline. It's an antibiotic and also helps with some of the other stuff you might be exposed to in Africa.

Doxy supposedly makes you more sensitive to sun burn but I've never experienced that problem. Just use a good sunscreen.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2314 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bf63,

Take your prescription drugs in original bottles and you'll be fine. OTC stuff in the same.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12909 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, thanks for all the good information.

BH63

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I took 7 prescriptions to RSA on Apr 26th. No one looks and no one cares.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12573 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Yup....just got back. No one cared one bit about meds in my carry on or checked luggage.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
16 trips to Africa as a diabetic and meds and needles were never an issue. The script number is on each container. I would suggest keeping ALL of your meds with you in your carryon to avoid the problem of a lost bag.
Cal.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^

I always do that, plus I put extra meds in my checked baggage.

Thanks.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second taking a copy of the prescriptions, but another word of caution. I only take what I'll need for the trip and keep everything in the original bottle. Your pharmacist can help you with a small bottle. I wouldn't want to shake some custom official up with a bottle for one drug and five different pills in it.

Or, like my Allopurinol that comes in three month allotments. No need to make it look like you are trafficking. Not that there's a big market in Allopurinol.

Posts: 10088 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be ok taking them in original bottles But if you are a belt and suspenders guy by all means get a script form or Dr.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I second taking a copy of the prescriptions, but another word of caution. I only take what I'll need for the trip and keep everything in the original bottle. Your pharmacist can help you with a small bottle. I wouldn't want to shake some custom official up with a bottle for one drug and five different pills in it.

Or, like my Allopurinol that comes in three month allotments. No need to make it look like you are trafficking. Not that there's a big market in Allopurinol.

Especially so if you are venturing to those paranoid countries down under.