Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transfering through Zurich
 Login/Join

posted
I am in the planning stage of a European hunt in January. I've got a reserved fligt through Zurich with 1 1/2 hour layover. Any experience with firearms and ammo on Swissair?

Posts: 53 | Location: Mass. USA | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
vgmhunor:

We've done the US to Zurich to J'berg to Windhoek with firearms a few times, but have not used Swiss Air.

I've done a LOT of international travel and I have a personal rule of thumb that I always try to book at least a 4hr layover anytime I'm transiting an international hub airport and/or changing airlines at these hub connections. Due the special handling requirements most airlines/airports have regarding firearms this is especially important. You may have a long walk/travel time from one arriving terminal to your departure terminal and have a long line for a passport check/screening etc. Even with this "rule of thumb", we've STILL occasionally had luggage/firearms not make a connection.

A couple of points to think about in your planning if you're booking your own tickets: a) make sure the airlines you're using have a baggage handling agreement. If they are "code share" airlines that is a given. b) check the firearms notification requirements of all airlines you"re planning on using. While one airline on a leg may not have a pre-notification requirement, another might and you'll need to make sure they are properly notified. If you don't your firearms may not be allowed on the flight. c) try and give yourself a minimum of 4hrs to make connections. Connecting flights may be late taking off for minor mechanical repairs at the gate, weather delays taking off/landing. Lots of things that can cause you or your luggage/firearms to miss tight connections.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. I have called Swissair and they told me not to worry. Since it is their flight all the way, one and a half hour should be long enough to transfer. They do require an other call three days before the travel date.

Posts: 53 | Location: Mass. USA | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When traveling with firearms its a great reason to use experienced travel agents who know the ins and outs of transiting through various hubs. Those of us who travel to Tanzania generally have to transit through Amsterdam where a Dutch Consent Form is required. I have relied upon Annelise at Areva Travel out of Boerne, TX and have always received great service.

Tim