THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Travel with 2 rifles of same caliber

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel with 2 rifles of same caliber
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted
I need the benefit of other's knowledge and experience here. I plan to travel from Dulles to Harare in late March and return from Harare to Dulles in mid April. I have no plans to clear customs in South Africa. I would like to bring two rifles in 450/400 for my hunt. I know that the gun laws in South Africa prohibit bringing 2 rifles of the same caliber into the country. With my gun case checked through to Harare on my trip over and through to Dulles on the way back, is there any prohibition or risk of having 2 rifles of the same caliber in my gun case? Are there any foreseeable circumstances that would force me to clear customs in South Africa (like missing a connecting flight etc)? If anybody has been through this before, I would really like to hear from you!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did some research on this very subject for a client this last season. As you mentioned there is always the possibility of missing flight and having to overnight in RSA. If you claim your luggage and guns upon entry to RSA which I would recommend you will need an RSA gun permit. If you have a letter explaining that the other same caliber rifle is your necessary back up and it appears on your SAPS form your good to go. I don't know exactly the wording you need but Christy with Gracy Travel would be happy to assist with that.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave,

I would suggest you have your "Invite Letter" include both your rifles by serial number and caliber, which most do now anyway, and make a statement that they are to be used as back-up to each other should one malfunction. I think that would give you good cover in the event something goes awry.

Gonna be at DSC?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to Mark and Lion Hunter - I hope to see you both at DSC in January!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote