Find
Notify
Tools

Transit through US
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Expat
posted
I will be flying to South Africa from Edmonton, Canada, to Seattle, and then via Dubai to Johannesburg. We are flying Emirates. I believe Emirates will arrange the firearm permits for Dubai customs and Airport Police when I fill in their online form. Am I correct? We are only in transit in Dubai. We will not leave the airport.
When I transfer through the US, what firearm permits do I need? Last time I traveled through the US (with no firearms),when i had a connecting flight, i had to go through customs and immigration with my luggage and check it again on my connecting flight to Canada. My luggage dit not get checked through to my final destination.
Any help from you guys will be appreciated

Posts: 50 | Location: Sask Canada | Registered: 13 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
If firearms remain in transit through U.S. you don't need anything but if you must take possession of them you'll need a completed 6N1A form from ATF. https://www.atf.gov/file/61581/download I'd personally get one regardless just in case you miss a flight or something.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No experience with Emirates. These questions are why I always use Steve Turner at Travel with Guns. He handles all the permits door to door.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2

One of Us
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Ok. Thanks guys. Will they do my permits even though I did not book my travel through them?

One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
They told me they would NOT do the permits when I asked the same question.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
I thought that might be the case. Anybody know which gov department to contact to get more details?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your troubles. Another reason to book with Steve from the get go.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
That's easy to say...but when you are traveling on airline miles you don't book through a travel agent. I'm not knocking Steve at all...not one bit. I'm in the same boat as this guy...traveling on airline miles and have some general questions.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
I thought that might be the case. Anybody know which gov department to contact to get more details?

Go to link I gave you above...ATF handles it. Talk to Emirates for Dubai info. Use Air 2000 Hunter Support in Joberg. http://www.hunterssupport.com/hunters/

You will also need a temporary export permit for firearm, ammo and scope from Canadian Government http://www.international.gc.ca...emande.aspx?lang=eng

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Thanks sheephunterab. I will contact them

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been a while since I flew internationallhy with firearms, but I was always told to get a US Customs form (forget the exact form) ascertaining where I purchased the firearm in order to avoid customs charges upon return to the US, and to show to the African countries when leaving.

This could be outdated information, so take it for what it is worth.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ATF Form 6N1A is issued for those hunting or shooting in the USA. Not transitting through the USA. The US has some very strict rules about transitting through their country and the last time I checked it was nearly impossible and extremely expensive to receive THE PROPER PERMIT to transit through the States.
I know a lot of people do transit through the US from Canada but my understanding is this is technically illegal.

Posts: 66 | Location: Canada | Registered: 10 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Constructoman:
The ATF Form 6N1A is issued for those hunting or shooting in the USA. Not transitting through the USA. The US has some very strict rules about transitting through their country and the last time I checked it was nearly impossible and extremely expensive to receive THE PROPER PERMIT to transit through the States.
I know a lot of people do transit through the US from Canada but my understanding is this is technically illegal.

If gun remains in transit there are no issues at all. You are correct that 6N1A is not for transiting but it's a bit of insurance should you be required to take possession of your firearm due to flight delays or cancellation. It legally allows you to take possession of it. I did have friends that missed a flight once and didn't have a 6N1A and were given a temporary possession permit until they could catch their flight the following day. Not sure who you checked with about transiting but it's not difficult. Considering your gun needs to be cleared by U.S. customs before boarding your flight to the U.S. I cant see how it's considered illegal.

One of Us
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
The 6N1A form says that if i am not going to hunt there or participate in a sport shoot then I can ot use the form to import.
I am still looking. Phoned ATF and Customs and I get transferred from one agent to another with no clear solution. In the end I usually get transferred to a voice mail.
Maybe it can't be done? But surely I am not the first Canadian hunter in transit through the US?

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 6N1A form says that if i am not going to hunt there or participate in a sport shoot then I can ot use the form to import.
I am still looking. Phoned ATF and Customs and I get transferred from one agent to another with no clear solution. In the end I usually get transferred to a voice mail.
Maybe it can't be done? But surely I am not the first Canadian hunter in transit through the US?

Yes it can be done and has been done hundreds of times. Are your guns remaining in transit through the U.S?

One of Us
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
I have to take posession of ALL my luggage when I touch down in Seattle. The airline does not book it trough back to Canada. Me and all my luggage then have to go through customs. I technically take posession of my rifles in Seattle. I then have to recheck the rifle on my return flight to Canada. So I will be in posession of my rifles for probably an hour or two between collecting and rechecking. That procedure was confirmed by the airline, ATF and US customs. If there is a way that I can know for sure what to do, please let me know. So far I have reached only dead ends

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to take posession of ALL my luggage when I touch down in Seattle. The airline does not book it trough back to Canada. Me and all my luggage then have to go through customs. I technically take posession of my rifles in Seattle. I then have to recheck the rifle on my return flight to Canada. So I will be in posession of my rifles for probably an hour or two between collecting and rechecking. That procedure was confirmed by the airline, ATF and US customs. If there is a way that I can know for sure what to do, please let me know. So far I have reached only dead ends

Just because you have to take them through customs does not mean they are not in transit. If you do not leave the secure area with them but rather just pass through customs and put them back on the luggage conveyor they are technically in transit. If you must leave the secure area to recheck them then that's a different story. I'd keep on ATF and Customs until you get an answer. If they remain in transit it can easily be done.

One of Us
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
I agree with you. But I would at least like some paperwork from the US side

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree with you. But I would at least like some paperwork from the US side

There is none if the firearms remain in transit. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answe...firearm%2Fammunition

One of Us
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help in this. I saw that link. I may be totally wrong and paranoid,but it seems strange to me that no paperwork is required considering the current state of affairs around the world. And then to rock up at an international airport unannounced with rifles. But maybe you are correct and it is as simple as that - no permit required if intransit.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Print a copy of that and take it with you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As with anything when you travel with firearms . Including copy of all permits copy of airline firearms shipping regulations can save you a lot of trouble when you get to the check in counter and some anti hunting airline employee does not want allow you to check in fire arms . A copy of these document will normally do the trick . Not having them can turn a expensive safari into a disaster
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
Print a copy of that and take it with you.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
I finally got an email from ATF. No permit is needed if you transit by air. You cannot stay overnight and you cannot leave the airport. A copy of your flight itinerary, invitation from your outfitter/ hunting contract must be shown to the agent. I feel better now that I have written confirmation
Thanks to all that gave advice

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. I'd still get a 6N1A just in case. No need to show it to anyone unless you need it. If a flight gets cancelled or something at least you have it. It's free.

One of Us
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
I guess I could apply for one. Nothing to lose. Still have time to do it