New
Find
Notify
Tools

First hunt to Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello to all. I am finally going! Flying to Zimbabwe this August to hunt and to celebrate my 69th birthday there. I will be going for two weeks. This is worse than waiting for Christmas as a kid. I am going apologize in advance for asking some rookie questions over the next couple of months so please bear with me. Hooray! Gary

Posts: 468 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good man!!, You have much to look forward to. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! The first was the best for me. Preparing is a lot of the fun.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The most important advice I can give is this.

Go with an open mind.

Leave any preconceived ideas at home.

And enjoy all the ups and downs.

Have fun.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68763 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your upcoming trip and birthday.

I was in the same boat 15 years ago; my first trip to Africa, not my 69th.

Some helpful hints can be found here:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...ms/a/frm/f/122101325

Of course, nothing is off limits, as no two hunts are the same.

I’m a mere pup when it comes to Africa compared to many here. Feel free to ask away

Most of all, have a blast!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you enjoy the rhythm of Africa.

Posts: 1819 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
Make sure you schedule time to see the falls while you are there.

Posts: 518 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leave the tape measure at home. Enjoy all the sights , sounds, and smells. Have a great time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

What area are you hunting, what outfitter or PH, and what are your primary desired species?

Posts: 448 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm hunting with Leon du Plessis in the Save Valley conservancy. Looking for elephant, buffalo and whatever else that might come our way!

Posts: 468 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will love the Save! I have had the great good fortune to hunt there three times. The first couple nights there I was very tired and could easily have slept but would not let myself so I could hear all the sounds: lion, hyena, baboons, leopards.
My advice, for what it’s worth, is take LOTS of pictures, even if it means a moment’s pause while tracking something. Don’t let yourself think, “Oh, I’ll see it again.” Likewise, if you are tempted to do something or go see something, go do it; a second opportunity may never present itself!
Remember, this is *your* trip. If you’re like most hunters shooting the animals you want is important— that’s why hunting in Africa is so expensive— but don’t short yourself on the parts of the experience that don’t involve shooting something. If you want to spend part of a day sight-seeing or bird-watching or hanging around in camp journaling, do it. You are the boss.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Have you considered hiring a video professional to film your safari.

However, shop and ask for references if you elect to do that. Your Ph should have the name of a few that may be available.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gary,
All the suggestions given are excellent. I especially identified with Saeeds and sdirks comments. (Also it goes without saying that you need to use the best bullet available. I believe that, within reason, the bullet is more important than the cartridge.)

You will have a wonderful time. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Envy the man who's never been to Africa, for there is only one first time.

Posts: 796 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is excellent.

The Save is definitely on my short list.

Posts: 448 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is only one first trip to Africa. Enjoy it. And get used to Africa time. There's no hard starts or stops, no calendar invites, etc. I had a hard time my first time with that. Go with the flow and enjoy it.

Posts: 10357 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary

You will never be quite the same after you return from Africa..................

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
When I went the first time, I considered it a once in a lifetime hunt. On the long plane ride back, I was already scheming and planning a return trip…… tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13425 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
When I went the first time, I considered it a once in a lifetime hunt. On the long plane ride back, I was already scheming and planning a return trip…… tu2

I don’t know how many of us are like this, but I was in the same boat…

To the point of delaying retirement to keep paying for hunts!

Posts: 11023 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in camp with Leon. Great guy. Remember you are on vacation. It is meant to be fun. Don’t ruin it y putting pressure on your self. Relax and roll with it.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the good thoughts and advice! Looks like airfare is the next purchase.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryG:
Thanks everyone for the good thoughts and advice! Looks like airfare is the next purchase.

Look at your options flying into Zimbabwe.

If you land in South Africa, you will be hit with the handling fee for your firearms.

And you will need a SA520.

Flying back i was able to have my firearm case checked to my destination.

There are a few options available to you, and they are about the same price.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Learn to cycle the bolt immediately after your first shot and stay down on the rifle. Don't follow what you see on TV where the first thing that the shooter does is lift his head to check his shot. The PH will tell you if the shot was good or not. Be ready for a follow up.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Carry $1 US bills in one pocket and $5 US bills in another (for hand out tips). Don't worry, they all recognize U.S. currency. Are you going with somebody else? If so split your clothes between two suitcases in case one becomes lost at least you have something. Wear clothes/shoes that you can get by with in case a suitcase goes 'missing'. Your PH will tell you how much to tip his staff.

Traveling with a firearm is do-able, but can be a PIA so consider renting a gun from them.

Contact Shawn at Gracey Travel for airlines info. 'Meet & Greet' services is money well spent. Buy some 'get you home' medivac insurance. If something happens to you it could cost you $50K to medivac you home.

You will thoroughly enjoy it there just remember to roll with the punches; it's Africa.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like I am going to go with Emirates out of San Francisco. Only two stops; Dubai and Harare. Hope that this will be simple.

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Don't do it. It's addictive!

The best advice I received here was take half as much clothes and twice as much money as you had planned. The first trip is always the most memorable and time flies. So go for as long as you can and be open to hunting animals not on your list.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote