THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    $200-$500.00 fee for rifle case on Lufthansa????

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$200-$500.00 fee for rifle case on Lufthansa????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted
What is the deal here. I'm told they are now charging $200-$500.00 for a rifle case, depending on size, each way. If this is true and it continues sounds like borrowing or renting a gun from your PH may not be such a bad idea.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As opposed to borrowing or renting rifles, I have chosen the third option and decided not to fly Lufthansa.

Jason

Posts: 144 | Location: sw Michigan | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think of it as revenue enhancement. United did that with me when I checked-in in Boise going to Zim. I made the gentleman who hit me up give me a receipt, and the day I got back I called my credit card company and disputed the call. Turns out he was "misinformed" about the size limitations and they credited me. I am sure they would have kept the $$$ ($250) had I not raised a squawk and followed up.

Are you going to Africa? Take a minute to talk with Kathi at Wild Travel and explore options. After she has gotten you a firearms friendly airline to fly with, call Lufthansa Customer Service and politely inform them why you are cancelling your flight with them, and that you will not be utilizing their services in the future. And WHY! And, be polite.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I have been 4 times and was thinking of going back this summer. I may or may not bring a rifle but my gal at Gracy Travel is who informed me of the potential hijacking.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a very specific phone conversation with Luft regarding this. Hunters leaving from the US, checking luggage on a piece basis rather than weight can have two bags, one of which can be a rifle case at no additional cost as long as they are under the weight limit ( around 50lbs) each.

I suggest you speak with Luft.

I will find out for sure in May!!

405wcf

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Get it in WRITING!!! And then carry it with you to show to airline Supervisors.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I changed my reservations at the last minute from Lufthansa to United for a June trip to Namibia due to the recent increases for traveling with firearms.. I am offended by the airlines behavior, not that it does any good to get oneself upset at an institution. May I say that they probably don't want our business. I would invite any airlines the opportunity to explain why they need to collect additional monies at the expense of hunters. They do this thing, because they can.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi
i just came back from South africa. flew YVR ( Vancouver canada) to JNB. There was no addition charge with lufthaunsa in economy for a cabelas 2 gun case providing i did not exceed my 2 bag limit. Brought the case and 1 suitcase and I had no problems or additional fees. i even asked and the lufthaunsa agent at the airport had not heard of a new charge. Maybe it is different from the states

Posts: 8 | Location: BC | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi

Lufthansa does charge except if you are a gold member with them! Otherwise SAA(South African Airways) also flies daily from NY and Washington to Johannesburg! SAA does not charge for Rifles, regarded as sports goods!!

One of Us
Picture of x-ring
posted Hide Post
I always print the airline's luggage carriage policies and carry them with me. One copy on my person and one in my rifle case.

Solved more than one dispute that way. Facts seem to trump irrational thinking/behavior in a positive way...politics aside.

RECTUM NON BUSTUS