New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jo'berg Transit hotel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone ever stayed in the transit hotel inside Jo'berg airport? I'm looking at an itinerary that has me arriving in Joberg quite late (~10pm) and then leaving first thing in the morning for Harare. It doesn't seem like enough time to go to the Afton house, etc. Is the airport hotel any good? Expensive? Reservations required? Any ideas / insights are appreciated.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Turner - Total Travel Solutions
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill

The hotel belongs to the Protea Hotel Group. I went and checked it out last October and they are in the process of upgrading the old section and adding some new rooms which may have been done by now.

You cannot book it online and you do need a reservation as it is always full. Below is a link to the website ;

http://www.proteahotels.com/protea-hotel-transit.html

If you do decide to stay here make sure you get your baggage checked to your final destination.

Trust this will help.

Steve

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

Posts: 138 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I'd stay at the Sun -- it's right there at the airport and I'd know that I could get a good meal both at night and early in the morning.

It costs a few bucks more -- but it's a noise level expense on an African hunting trip.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Wherever you stay, be sure to have the Afton Guest House help you with your SAPS520 gun permit. Annelise took care of my gun permit, and Jacques met us at the airport. They were worth every dollar of the fee they charge for this service.

Posts: 3857 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
I have in the past and shall in the future stay at the Afton Guest House. Close to the airport and great people!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. The goal is not to leave the airport, so there is no need to claim the guns and get a SAPS permit.

The itinerary I was looking at only had about a 7 hour layover, so I didn't think this was enough time to get through customs, go to the Afton house, and return, with any meaningful time to sleep. Staying right in the airport seemed a much better option.

In the end, I have a much different itinerary, and should not need to overnight in Jo'berg.

Thanks,

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
another possibility for you is to use the premier club at about 25usd/person. You can shower, use the head, enjoy the snacks and drinks there. Anyway thats what we do.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Here's another vote for the Premier Club Lounge........ it's even got a smoking room.

I'd rather use that lounge than any of the 1st class lounges at Jo'burg.