THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Possible to store a rifle at the airport in South Africa?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possible to store a rifle at the airport in South Africa?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’ll be hunting in Zim this fall. Planing on doing some touristy stuff around Cape Town SA after the hunt and fly back home from there.

As I’ll be bringing my rifle to the hunt I have to some how manage to bring it with me to South Africa as well although I will not be hunting there. I know SA has fairly simple rules for temporary import but I’m not sure how that works for a trip not containing hunting.
Is it possible to store the rifle at the airport in Cape Town so as not to have to go through the import/export process?

I’d appreciate any info you might have.
I will also probably book my flight through one of the hunting travel experts so will most likely get some answers there as well.

Posts: 101 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong.

But I think your best bet is to contact the meet and greet people recommended here.

They probably be in a position to help you.

I am not aware that the airport has the facilities to do so.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
With all the thievery going on at the Joberg airport I'd be vry reluctant to leave my firearm there. As Saeed recommended, contact some of the firms that handle firearms importation and see if they can help.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2329 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve used both riflepermits.com and Air2000 to store rifles for me while doing non-hunting stuff. Both obtained my permit prior to arrival, assisted thru SAPS, picked my rifles up after my hunt and returned them on date of departure. Both provided very good service and not terribly expensive.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2906 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What Saeed said. However, as I understand it, you will be touristing in Cape Town, not Joburg. I think that most of us are familiar with the meet and greets in Joburg, not sure about Cape Town and what's available there, since most hunters, I believe, fly into JoBurg. You might contact your travel agent to see what they do about that, and if they have anything for you. Travel With Guns, Kathi Klimes from here on AR, Gracy Travel, etc. would likely be very helpful. Furthermore, the place where you will be staying during your tourist activities might have a walk-in gun safe or other secured area to store your firearms. Check with them as well. I know that I stored my firearms at Africa Sky in Joburg in their large walk-in safe for a week while I was not needing them. Finally, I would strongly agree with the sentiments about not storing anything at an African airport. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Gracy travel has a person that assist with gun import in cape town. I forget his name, however you could book using Gracy travel and they will assist you.

Check with your travel agent to see if they have someone in Cape Town to assist you.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your input and wise suggestions!

I’ll look in to having a specialized travel agent handle this for me and I’m pretty sure the can arrange what I need.

Posts: 101 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote