Tools

What would you do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
Here are my options:

1) Air France Paris to Frankfurt, then Frankfurt to Windhoek on Air Namibia, or

2) Air France Paris to Johannesburg, then to Windhoek on SAA.

Which would you choose and why? It's business travel, so no rifles to worry about.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Option 2 as Air Namibia is not the most reliable.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
There is an additional option of using Lufthansa from Frankfurt to J-burg, I have found that to be a good alternative also. You almost are committed to an overnight in Jberg in either case though, as the connection to Windhoek is not easy to make the last time I tried it.

I have also taken the Air Namibia flight - no issues there, but that sadly, has not been everyone's experience. It may or may not depart on any given day, as they have no back up aircraft in the event of any equipment or crew malfunctions. The choice for me was simpler - I earn frequent flier miles on Lufthansa, but not on Air Namibia. On long legs like this, that alone is worth the over night, plus I sometimes hunt in RSA on the return leg, so I need RSA gun permits ( multiple entry must be requested ) anyway, and would depart J-burg anyway also.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 347 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I opted for the Air France to Joberg, SAA to Windhoek route. I'll get more miles on my Skyteam account.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats what I would do too. I notice a lot of the guys have had some problems on the Air N flight even though it cuts out the JoBurg layover, so the other route at least seems more reliable.

Air France had some killer deals from Houston in just Economy but we went BA instead. But next year or the next I am on to try it without my family along.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:

I opted for the Air France to Joberg, SAA to Windhoek route. I'll get more miles on my Skyteam account.

You made a good decision. SAA has a lot more options to get into Windhoek and Air Nam is more like a crap shoot - sometimes they leave on time, sometimes they don't, sometimes they cancel their flights and sometimes they even let you know, sometimes your bag shows up and sometimes not.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Option 3: Take the Chunnel over to London, and take the British Airways flight to Joberg, then the British Airways (Comair) flight to Windhoek. Good service, good food, smoking hot deals recently.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote