THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    How do you carry your cash/traveler's checks in Africa?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you carry your cash/traveler's checks in Africa?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've hunted/fished on numerous occasions outside the US, Canada, Argie, Mexico, Guatemala and Panama. On all my previous trips, I paid for most if not all of the outing before leaving home.

It is just starting to sink in, that I'll need to carry about $20K in traveler's checks for our PG hunt to Namibia. I've never carried that kind coin around. How does one carry $20K securely.

Also does the government require any sort of form??

Thanks for the advice.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted Hide Post
I put the cash in a neck wallet before I leave the house and don't take it off or mess with it until I reach the lodge. I empty most important things out of my wallet when travelling and that way if I lose the wallet, I need to replace very little and haven't lost much cash.

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Have your bank special order some $1,000 denomination travel checks for you. Makes the load considerably less than using just the $100 denomination checks. I carried them in a money belt around my waist under my pants. I learned this trip about the large denomination traveler checks from JJHack who is a moderator on the african forum over at www.24hourcampfire.com.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I pre-pay all expected trophy fees, and usual associated fees into the safari company's US bank account before I leave the states. Then I only carry enough cash to cover tips and mad monies. Contact your credit card carrier and advise them you may be using the card in a foreign country.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
What flight did you say you where on?
Why so much?
I carry a cash belt and put some in my top chest pocket with the other chest pocket carrying small notes for tip's.
And some in my wallet.
Most of the bill is payed before I leave anyway.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Last year when i was in Namibia,i set up a wire transfer at my bank and told them not to send until i e-mailed them. After a few animals were down i e-mailed the bank. That sure cut down on amount i carried.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I do like to wire as much as possible ahead of time, but have found a very comfortable and secure way to carry $. Under Armour makes some nice looking button up "fishing shirts". I wear them to hunt in in Africa in tan and olive. They have a hidden, zippered chest pocket, that will hold a lot. If you put your money in there and zip it up, no way it is coming out, no way to get pick pocketed, etc. It is always by your heart! Plus, then you have worn a hunting shirt that looks nice, to save on luggage. They also make them in white, blue, etc. Actually very nice looking casual shirts.

Here is a shot of one while hunting...

You can see the zipper tab about half way down my left chest.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's none of my business but if there are only 2 of you going, and you've almost certainly had to pre-pay at least 1/2 the costs or similar, (most of the ones I'm familiar with require full daily rate payment or package payment before the actual hunt but I'm sure there are exceptions) then $20,000 is a helluva lot for a couple of hunters unless you're planning on shooting elephants and buffalos.

I usually carry just under the maximum (reportable) amount with me in cash, that is about $9000 to $9500. BE CERTAIN TO FILL OUT THE APPROPRIATE TREASURY/CUSTOMS FORMS IF YOU CARRY $10K or over and that includes foreign currency values, etc. If you don't want to be on a money laundering/drug, etc suspect list with US Treasury, then withdraw your cash in amounts of about $3000 or so at one time and space them out(if you've got a small town bank that knows you, then you can probably up this amount, as long as it's less than 10K) for a few weeks prior to the hunt. I normally wear overalls so $9K in 100s fits nicely in one of the chest pockets which have buttons. As mentioned above, a shirt with a zip pocket, or a button will work as well. $20K would get a little bulky, I'd make two packets, one in a front pocket and one in a shirt or, in my case, coverall pocket. Old gamblers trick, fold money in half and wrap it with one or two decent sized rubber bands, makes it much harder to slip out of a pocket. In pockets, it never leaves my possession even when dealing with the TSA.
All that said, if I were you, I'd make a reasonably conservative estimate of what your group would kill and pay that amount ahead of time so I'd have to carry less cash. It bothers some people more than others.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best way I found to carry passports, cash, etc safely was a chest/belly band, which is elastic (some use ties) with pockets that obviously fits over your torso, under your shirt. When you're actually traveling, that is going thru customs, keep your passport out during that time. I don't have a link to such a band right now, but they are available. The neck hanger always bothered me a bit plus is more obvious to the bad guys. This won't apply in Namibia but I always kept some cash and one credit card in my wallet, both for convenience sake and for a "sacrifice" if I ever got robbed. Luckily so far that hasn't happend, closest was in Caracas one time, but I managed to get inside a bar before they closed the loop.....dangerous town.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
As an aside, if you want to minimize bulk and if you can get a good exchange rate (timing is everything), you might consider getting 500 euro notes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It won't happen in the near future, but with serious inflation in the US a near certainty, I think they will bring back the $500 and $1000 notes.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wire everything ahead. There is absolutely no need to take more money than you need for tips and pocket cash. Your safari operator should have no problem reimbursing you if you under shoot or billing you if you over shoot. This is common practice and what we recommend for all our clients.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mark, Wire it to the outfitter, or send it to your booking agent to hold in escrow. Traveling with that much cash/travelers checks is not that great of an idea.

James

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabelas sells a very nice mony belt that has no metal parts to set off sercurity alarms at airports. It looks just like a regular belt. Get $1000 T/Checks and just fold them up along with some $100 bills. It goes evrywhere I do.

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Wire everything ahead. There is absolutely no need to take more money than you need for tips and pocket cash. Your safari operator should have no problem reimbursing you if you under shoot or billing you if you over shoot. This is common practice and what we recommend for all our clients.

VERY trusting of the clients!

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
First time, a big pocket in transit then a rifle case in camp will work.

Next and subsequent times, after you establish trust, a personal check before you leave or a wire after you get home will do.

And yes, you do have to declare any amounts in currency or equivalents (and that includes traveler's checks) of US$10K or more. No prohibition, but you must declare it on the prescribed form.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
I have a passport holder with a strap that goes around my neck. I kept my passport and travelers checks in the holder and inside my shirt during my trip.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Contact your credit card carrier and advise them you may be using the card in a foreign country.

Good advice. Inform your Credit Card company in advance of specific countries you intend to visit and the dates.

Ensure you've got the telephone number(s) for your Credit Cards company with you, too. If you have a Cell Phone that operates abroad ensure the number is current and request to be immediately notified should suspicious activity occur. If not, give the number (if possible) where can be reached at the Lodge(s) or Outfitter.

Avoid "Hole-in-the-Wall" Syndrome and use Credit Cards (if required) inside Banks and Cash Points; not those located outside.

Sadly, attempt to refrain form using Credit Cards if at all possible.

While I've had trips with nothing unsuspect I've also had Credit Cards "suspended" for suspicious activity while underway. This makes for a testing expereince for Auto Rental, Airlines or such where a Credit Card is required.

If you have a "set"; i.e., a Visa & Master Card from the same company, leave one at home. If "suspicious" card activity occurs the provider will suspend both cards anyway. As insurance a separate third party card i.e, American Express spreads risk and can be used for emergencies.

Wire transfer the largest amount prior/after the trip.

Travelers Checks are IMO the best way to settle larger than ordinary amounts.

Keep small amounts of cash <$100.00 easily accessable without having to openly display or fumble with large amounts of cash in public places.

While convenient for a Traveler; do not carry Passports, Tickets, Credit Cards & large amounts of cash together and avoid public displays of such when in Wallets, Belts, Neck Holders, etc. when making purchases.

Have Fun & Be Safe.....

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
I do like to wire as much as possible ahead of time, but have found a very comfortable and secure way to carry $. Under Armour makes some nice looking button up "fishing shirts". I wear them to hunt in in Africa in tan and olive. They have a hidden, zippered chest pocket, that will hold a lot. If you put your money in there and zip it up, no way it is coming out, no way to get pick pocketed, etc. It is always by your heart! Plus, then you have worn a hunting shirt that looks nice, to save on luggage. They also make them in white, blue, etc. Actually very nice looking casual shirts.

Here is a shot of one while hunting...

You can see the zipper tab about half way down my left chest.

Tim -- great idea!!-but when I looked at the Under Armour web page I noticed that the shirt is Polyester -- which may not hold up to hot ironing as occurs in Africa -- did you have any issues regarding that issue??-
Nice Eland -- where did you harpoon that beast?
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
No issue with these shirts being ironed, and they have been on 2 safaris. I am sure they would melt if you laid an iron on them and left it Wink. I do ask them not to iron my UA underwear because I think it would melt.

My shirts are River Guides. They make another very similar that are a little lighter. These are light but have stretch and almost ripstop, and they have held up very well in Zim and Namibia.

I shot the eland in Namibia with Roger Coomber an AR member and outfitter.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajcj:
I agree with Mark, Wire it to the outfitter, or send it to your booking agent to hold in escrow. Traveling with that much cash/travelers checks is not that great of an idea.

James
absolutely +2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13162 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
quote:

if you don't trust your outfitter with your life-which is basically exactly what you are doing- you shouldn't trust him with your money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

I guess that's what I should of said. If you have established no trust with your agent/safari operator perhaps you should stay home. Our clients absolutely love not carrying wads of cash. I know when I traveled to Cameroon with 15,000 Euros in cash as that was the only payment they would accept at that time it did give me pause. International travel with guns can be stressful enough without worrying about getting mugged for your money.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Mark, i think you misunderstood my post. i absolutely agree with you about pre-paying costs with the outfitter. it was NitroX's comment that i found bothersome.it seems to imply that trusting an outfitter with payment in advance is perhaps unwise. last year i did exactly as you suggested before i went to Moz. turned out i over paid(or undershot??), and Johan wired the excess payment back to me on my return. far and away the safest and easiest way to go.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have been doing that for years, and have never had any problems whatsoever.

But, I do deal with individuals with ntegrity.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Actually, NitroX's raises a good point.

I would not trust some outfitters with a penny in advance.

In fact, some outfitters I would not even consider hunting with.

I have heard some horror stories about some outfitters in the US and Europe.

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I just returned earelier this evening from two wonderful weeks in South Africa. I pre-paid everything to Spear Safaris, and it went flawlessly. I paid for one animal more than I shot, an eland, and they cheerfully cut me a refund check for that animal.

I also had travelers checks, just in case for incidental needs. I couldn't find a single place anywhere in the country that would take American Express travellers checks. That might be something to consider for others.

Posts: 3857 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
Hey Jerry

You and Mark are totally on the same page. BUT do not assume that all outfitters at OK with this - and that is coming from me, myself an outfitter! Check them out or work with someone like Mark who won't meddle with "unworthy" outfitters. Any good outfitter will view this very seriously and will be very disciplined with refunding money. I, for one, try to have your money refunded by the time you get home, or at least within a few days as the schedule allows.

Having said that, most outfitters (especially outside of SA) need cash dollars to operate. I know I do! So always try and bring some cash with for your friendly outfitter ... Smiler

Look after yourself ...

quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Mark, i think you misunderstood my post. i absolutely agree with you about pre-paying costs with the outfitter. it was NitroX's comment that i found bothersome.it seems to imply that trusting an outfitter with payment in advance is perhaps unwise. last year i did exactly as you suggested before i went to Moz. turned out i over paid(or undershot??), and Johan wired the excess payment back to me on my return. far and away the safest and easiest way to go.

Johan

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jerry,

I guess that's what I should of said. If you have established no trust with your agent/safari operator perhaps you should stay home........
Mark

Trust is a two way street.

How bout I drop a check in the mail when I get home?

Hmmmm, didn't think so.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a "travel shirt" from "outback outfitters" (I think?) button pockets and zipper pocket behind them, small pocket inside that....made for airline tickets and passports. all my stuff was separated and I could sleep, pay cash when need etc with out worry.
I think Cabela's makes a similiar shirt.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
quote:

if you don't trust your outfitter with your life-which is basically exactly what you are doing- you shouldn't trust him with your money.

There are outfitters with unblemished records who would never dream of fleecing you of a single penny and there are an ever
increasing number of "fly by night" or "briefcase" outfitters who wouldn't think twice of doing so.
It would be wise therefore to choose your outfitter carefully rather than gamble on one who is unknown. coffee

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have nearly the travel experience many who post here do but here is what I've done abroad and vactioning in the states. 5.11 Tactical Clothing's shirts (once a part of Royal Robbins) have 2 chest pockets that are concealed under the standard breast pockets and close by heavy velcro. These will carry a standard folded map easily and work well as a travel shirt. Documents, itenerary, money/travellers checks, etc. are well concealed and accessible if needed. Royal Robbin's travel vests have inner zipper pockets of a similar size, also. When I went to Africa, I wired anticipated safari and trophy fees prior to departure and carried money/traveler's checks for incidentals, touring and tips in this manner. While traveling, I also carry a second billfold to cover daily expenses out of so I can throw it down if needed and only be out a relatively few bucks and never get out my real billfold in public to avoid risking money, credit card and I. D.

Best,

jpj3

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAelknuts:
...I also had travelers checks, just in case for incidental needs. I couldn't find a single place anywhere in the country that would take American Express travellers checks. That might be something to consider for others.

FWIW It appears that Rennies Foreign Exchange have some sort of agreement with Amex to cash without service charges.

Seem to have 83 branches in RSA.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess that's what I should of said. If you have established no trust with your agent/safari operator perhaps you should stay home

True enough.

But, to start with there IS trust. Trouble is there are outfitters and clients who do not deliver on their promises.

That is when the trouble starts.

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mark

We did this with Adam Clements a couple years ago. My friend never fired a shot and it took them several months to return his trophy fee deposits after a less than quality experience. What was up with that bewildered Not to hard to figure "Deposit paid" minus ZERO = FULL REFUND! We both were wondering IF we were ever going to get our unused trophy fees back. After the experience we had with them they should have at least returned these deposits back promptly.

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
I guess that's what I should of said. If you have established no trust with your agent/safari operator perhaps you should stay home

True enough.

But, to start with there IS trust. Trouble is there are outfitters and clients who do not deliver on their promises.

That is when the trouble starts.

Totally agree! We got fleeced by our "reputable" outfitter. I even had $3300 of my gear stolen from the tent under watched guard and Adam paid me back $2000 saying they figured that was "good enough". I was wishing I hadn't been required to pay it all up front on that hunt thumbdown Just because an outfitter has a good reputation(as Adam does...right?) doesn't mean that circumstances will not arise when he has to have the fortitude to TRY making it right when things go BAD instead of keeping twisting the screws in deeper.

Oh yeah...sorry. I carry my money, passport, 4457's and vaccination records in a pouch inside my shirt.

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Twenty years ago someone lent me a double, shoulder pouch that fitted and even looked a bit like a flat, skin-tone bra. that was the best, most-comforable arrangement for carrying money and passports I've ever seen.

I haven't seen one since though, probably because they may not work for women and blokes don't want the bra look.

If anyone has one or knows where to get such a thing, please let me know - I'd like buy it before I head to Moz in late August.

Cheers
- Paul

Posts: 4970 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
Have your bank special order some $1,000 denomination travel checks for you. Makes the load considerably less than using just the $100 denomination checks. I carried them in a money belt around my waist under my pants. I learned this trip about the large denomination traveler checks from JJHack who is a moderator on the african forum over at www.24hourcampfire.com.

Three years ago and again last month while getting things together for a safari I asked my bank to order some $1,000 denomination traveler's checks. The trip three years ago I showed up to collect them and the bank told me that someone forgot to order them. This last trip I gave them plenty of time to order them and was finally told that they were unable to obtain $1,000 travelers checks. The branch manager told me that they were resupplied with traveler's checks as needed and could not pre-order them. This was at CHASE BANK. So don't count on being able to find the large denomination traveler's checks. We did as most here have suggested and wired the bulk of the payments to the outfitters account before we left. Then after arrival I used the ATM and got about $200 worth of Rand. That took care of spending money for the trip.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain:
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:

Three years ago and again last month while getting things together for a safari I asked my bank to order some $1,000 denomination traveler's checks. The trip three years ago I showed up to collect them and the bank told me that someone forgot to order them. This last trip I gave them plenty of time to order them and was finally told that they were unable to obtain $1,000 travelers checks. The branch manager told me that they were resupplied with traveler's checks as needed and could not pre-order them. This was at CHASE BANK. So don't count on being able to find the large denomination traveler's checks. We did as most here have suggested and wired the bulk of the payments to the outfitters account before we left. Then after arrival I used the ATM and got about $200 worth of Rand. That took care of spending money for the trip.

AMEX travel Centers have them on site all the time. You can find the list on AMEX website.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
AMEX travel Centers have them on site all the time. You can find the list on AMEX website.

No they don't, at least not all of them. I just got back from Namibia this past Saturday. Two days before leaving for the trip, I went to two different AMEX travel centers to buy $1,000 traveler's checks. Both AMEX travel centers said that AMEX no longer issues the $1,000 traveler's checks in the U.S. They said $1,000's were available in Europe and I think Asia. I bought the $500's instead.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote