New
Find
Notify
Tools

too muck luggage??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to JoGurg on Delta via Atlanta, over nighting then on to Bulawayo on SAA. I am told that one can only check two bags on the Delta leg. My hunt is an archery and rifle hunt. I was planning to take a bow case, a rifle case and a duffel of clothes.

Any ideas? Can one check more than two bags and pay extra?

Could I ship my bows ahead a week or so?

Appreciate thoughts from those that have done this.

Thanks

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need the Tuffpak case designed to take a bow, and a rifle.

I would transport my arrows with the broadheads removed, in a protective case, inside the Tuffpak.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SKB makes a case that will hold 2 rifles and a bow. You may have to pay overweight charges depending how heavy your rifles and bow are.
I believe the case weighs 28lbs.

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto the Tuff Pak. Posted on another thread just a week or so ago, bow in soft case, rifle in a soft case, arrows in plastic arrow box, place in Tuff Sack with a few clothes, boots, bog pod etc, slid into Tuff Pak, lock it up and you are good to go. Done this exact same thing six times to Africa and a few other times here Stateside, absolutely no problems. I wouldn't consider any other options with the bow/rifle combination. This setup is not an overweight problem either. Goes as one of your checked bags.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I am a dedicated TuffPak guy, but no way I would put a bow in there. I want foam padding. I have the big double SKB, and my bow and a break open rifle (broken) travel well in it. I am doing that to Argentina next month, but I haven't seen one that will take a parallel limb bow and 2 full rifles (or a full long bolt gun). I may be completely wrong. You can definitely pay about $150 extra each way on Delta. I would do that before I would ship my bow to Africa. If you have something like an SKB bow case and a TuffPak (or other large rifle case), you could pack your clothes, etc. in there with the the gun and bow, and only take 2 bags. You can honestly get by with taking a decent size carry on and packing about all the clothes you would need in it as they do laundry every day. I find traveling with a tube type arrow carrier works the best as well. Best of luck, I am sure you will have a blast...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of good thoughts and recommendations guys.
I have a NALPAK and have for years, great case.

It is too small in diameter for my bow. My bow is 12" wide. I see NALPAK makes a 14" wide, but it's 42" long, too short for my .375 HH.

I see that SKB does make a 14X50 onch case that can be divided to carry a bow and a rifle. That appears to be an option.
I have a real good Pelican gun case that I was going to use for my rifle and a SKB for my bow.
I might do that and toss in some
clothes and carry one a few more clothes, careras, binoculars etc.

Now another question. I understand that you can not ship ammo in the gun case,

Can I ship my .375 shells in my bow case?

Thanks guys and gals.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim - Tuff Pak makes a case that is wide enough for a parallel limb bow, and mine goes in a "foam padded" soft case before it goes in the Tuff Pak. I haven't tried two (2) rifles and a bow, but my 26" barrel .375 and the bow work just fine. I actually worry more about the rifle than the bow when packed this way, although as I mentioned no problem with either on a dozen or so trips. In two instances I have friends who suffered bow damage with their bows in a SKB, Pelican type case going to RSA.

I am going to Argentina in May and will not take a bow or rifle as I'll be using the Outfitters guns (rifle/shotgun) on that trip. Have a great trip to ARG and we can compare notes when we get back. Good luck.

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
I am a dedicated TuffPak guy, but no way I would put a bow in there. I want foam padding. I have the big double SKB, and my bow and a break open rifle (broken) travel well in it. I am doing that to Argentina next month, but I haven't seen one that will take a parallel limb bow and 2 full rifles (or a full long bolt gun). I may be completely wrong. You can definitely pay about $150 extra each way on Delta. I would do that before I would ship my bow to Africa. If you have something like an SKB bow case and a TuffPak (or other large rifle case), you could pack your clothes, etc. in there with the the gun and bow, and only take 2 bags. You can honestly get by with taking a decent size carry on and packing about all the clothes you would need in it as they do laundry every day. I find traveling with a tube type arrow carrier works the best as well. Best of luck, I am sure you will have a blast...

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to carry on all the clothes you need. You need virtually nothing once you are there. No camo is needed. Nothing more than two sets plus what you are wearing.

Leave the rifle at home. It is easier.

Pack light. You will not regret it.

Posts: 10215 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
"Now another question. I understand that you can not ship ammo in the gun case"

TSA and Delta will allow this, but SAA won't. So you should be good to go on your flight to Joberg, but not on your SAA flight to Zim. On your return flights you won't be able to pack ammo in your gun case. Even if you overnight in Joberg on the way home, don't pack ammo in your gun case.

I did this last year on my flight to Joberg. No problems at all.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2307 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies.

I guess that I will take a bow and a rifle case with my rifle ammo in my bow case and carry on two changes of clothes.
Then from JoBurg to Bulawayo, I will have to check my carry on also with the ammo for my rifle.

NRA Patron member

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
great to know Larry! thanks

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
I was in the same situation last year. After much study of various cases I bought a Storm double rifle case that would fit my bow and my rifle. I don't remember the model number (there are several), but it was just wide enough for my bow. I made some custom foam for the bow and cut out the rifle foam from what came with the case. It will fit the bow and quiver (removed from the bow) on the bottom, and the rifle & arrows on top, it also had room for a small tool box. Came in under the weight limit.

Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
...I see that SKB does make a 14X50 onch case that can be divided to carry a bow and a rifle. That appears to be an option.

It appears you may have solved your dilemma since this post, but FYI, be aware of which SKB you are buying. I recently sold my SKB bow case that is similar to what you described above. I could actually fit my bow, arrows, rifle AND shotgun in the case. The gentleman who purchased it from my liked the option of using it to carry both his bow and rifle. However, when he received it he discovered that the case would not fit a parallel limb bow.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And don't pack some of your ammo in the magazine in the rifle as one American hunter had done at the airport I was in when he was going home from his hunt.
The man that checked the guns told me that 2-3 weeks earlier another hunter had the magazine full and one in the chamber when the gun was checked at the airport.....

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MTarcher
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know the maximum diameter of a Tuffpak that is 12 inches in diameter? I believe the diameter listed is the minimum diameter. I am trying to determine which size case I need for my bow.

Posts: 56 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 13 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact "Harry" here on AR as he is a major dealer in Ft. Worth, TX and can give you all the case options and current prices. I purchased mine from him and I know a lot of others here have done the same.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

One of Us
Picture of MTarcher
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
I have sent him a PM.

Posts: 56 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 13 January 2012Reply With Quote