THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Is there an African Trac-fone?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there an African Trac-fone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted
Is there some version of a tracfone etc. that can be purchased in africa that would be simpler/cheaper than trying to take your own.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about africa tracphones but I do know that last year my wife and I were in Namibia for two and a half weeks and made more than a few calls home and sent a good number of texts using our own phones with AT&T service and the total cost was about $40. It took a less than 5 minute phone call to AT&T to arrange this prior to our departure. I don't know how much a tracphone and service would cost but I can't imagine it would be much less than forty bucks.

Regards,
Jason

Posts: 144 | Location: sw Michigan | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
Is there some version of a tracfone etc. that can be purchased in africa that would be simpler/cheaper than trying to take your own.

Many phones here in the US are "locked" so that you can't change sim cards. Others don't have the capability to work on the European/African wave length(band?)

A couple of years ago you could buy a Nokia 6610 on ebay for about $20. Many others would work, but the 6610 was my choice. Then when you get to Africa, you buy a simcard for the local network, place it in your phone and you are in business.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JCS271,
In July 2010, I did just as Jason suggests. We were in RSA for 10 days, several phone calls and lots of texts with the kids left alone back home. Did not make any local calls there however. Again just used our regular ATT service with the Global "something or other" upgrade which had to be done over the phone. I don't think it cost more than $25, and the person on ATT even suggested tips on keeping the costs down.
I was amazed at how easy it was, at least for coverage and service in RSA.
Enjoy the trip.
Lou M

Posts: 106 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a track phone from

http://www.telestial.com/

I have used it from the bush in Namibia and in Europe and it works well. My need was for simple texts and calls and this did the trick.

I suspect if you are more tech savvy than me, you can probably find them cheaper than I did.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
This looks pretty good, especially sending the texts for .79 cents. That is really all I need just to keep in touch with home, Thanks!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote