Find
Notify
Tools

Qatar Airways vs. Delta?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Just beginning to nose around for flights from Portland, OR (PDX), to Jo'berg, and Qatar, while not the cheapest, is not far behind Delta in price. I know seat comfort depends in large measure on the aircraft you are flying in, but has anyone here had direct experience flying to Johannesburg on these two carriers?
I would be flying economy, as usual ...

Roll Eyes

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16418 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill - I do the ATL to JNB on Delta 4 to 5 times a year. It is an relatively easy flight other than the 15.5 hours. Economy comfort isn't bad and the best seats in economy are bulkhead seat in the back - Row 44.

Delta is good with guns and so you don't have to change between airlines which can always be a little spotty. Other than that I cannot help you. I have not flown Qatar so...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I flew Qatar Air this spring Bangkok to Philly,then changed to a US carrier to finish in Columbus.
Even with booking 4 months ahead and calling customer service, they still messed up my food request every leg going and returning. I had an extra bag and was charged an extra time by the USA carrier too.
Needless to say, I can't understand how a carrier that is Muslim owned and has dietary restrictions can forget a Kosher client every step of the way. I asked the crew and customer service, the reasoning was the same... it was just overlooked.
I would not be happy if they did the same with say my $15000 Searcy!
I won't be flying them again.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. Sounds like Delta is the way to go.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16418 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I like getting Skyteam miles, usable on several airlines I fly frequently.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I fly exclusively with Qatar airways from the ME to South Africa.

I actually arrived this afternoon in Jhb.

Qatar Airways is in my opinion the best in the ME.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote