THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    upgradeable economy class tickets

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

upgradeable economy class tickets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering if anyone on here can give me advice on upgradable airfare tickets. I fly delta and have medallion status via my American express credit card. Normally when I go on a safari I book my flights 6 months in advance. I usually find dates for upgradable economy tickets close to my departure and return dates. I then use minimal miles to upgrade to first class. I just recently booked my leopard hunt in may and easily found tickets for the Atlanta/joberg leg with no problems. However I just booked the tickets for my September elephant hunt today and the return trip for leaving joberg on sept 17 had no upgradable tickets for a week either side. They told me there were tons of first class seats available right now but no upgradable tickets available and that they would put me on the waiting list for the next seats that become available. They say the system follows an algorithm based on demand and offers seats at will for medallion members as dates get closer. What Im wondering is if anyone on here has been on this standby list before. If so how long should I wait before I look at changing my flight from joberg/atlant to joberg/London if those first class tickets don't become available. The London flights always seem to have tickets available but the flights don't have the lay flat seats which I really like. I know this may be a very specific question but maybe you guys on here trying to travel first class on a budget like myself have some answers. In addition the agent booking my tickets seemed to think I would have a good chance at getting those upgradable tickets. Does anyone have any idea on what they think my chances will be?

Posts: 54 | Location: NM USA | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR.

There is a wealth of information available from experienced people on this site. I have read a number of your recent posts and want to suggest some things that will improve your chances of getting answers to your questions:

Putting your location in your profile can be helpful. Grammar, spelling and punctuation count.

Sentences start with capital letters, as do proper names of cities. Paragraphs will make reading a long post much easier and result in more people reading your post in its entirety. Everybody makes mistakes but it is only courteous to consider your readers when you prepare a post.

EXAMPLES: Delta, Express, May, Joberg, Joberg, Sept, I'm, ?, Joberg/Atlant, Joberg/, ?.

I have no answer to your question.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I would poke around here for an answer to your question.

http://www.flyertalk.com

Good luck.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you are going in September on the way over I expect chances on upgrade would be pretty reasonable. I have gone over about that time before and the flight was about half empty. Now coming back I think chances would be less as it seems no matter what time of the year it is the flights back have been extremely full.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How are you getting first class from Atlanta to Johannesburg?
Delta only flies coach and business...

How are you connecting in London?
Delta does fly its own metal to LHR but how are you then connecting to JNB?

IF Delta, then Sky Team, through AMS or CDG.
Virgin Atlanticdoes fly to London, not sure to JNB.

More info please... a lot of us would like Delta 1st to JNB.

"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy."
Dan Gable

Posts: 55 | Location: Cedar Falls, IA | Registered: 17 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Welcome to AR.

There is a wealth of information available from experienced people on this site. I have read a number of your recent posts and want to suggest some things that will improve your chances of getting answers to your questions:

Putting your location in your profile can be helpful. Grammar, spelling and punctuation count.

Sentences start with capital letters, as do proper names of cities. Paragraphs will make reading a long post much easier and result in more people reading your post in its entirety. Everybody makes mistakes but it is only courteous to consider your readers when you prepare a post.

EXAMPLES: Delta, Express, May, Joberg, Joberg, Sept, I'm, ?, Joberg/Atlant, Joberg/, ?.

I have no answer to your question.

Tony/Stinky, What LionHunter says is correct. This site isn't MM, and there aren't many 'tards on here. You'll find that you have better luck if you pay a little attention to writing more articulately here than you need to do over on MM. This website is a fantastic resource with many helpful members, so making your posts a little easier to read will only help you.

Posts: 3909 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
grammar? got it!

Now what I meant to ask was a question about business class and not first class. Im booked for business class on the trip over but on the return trip September 17 im on the stand-by list.

If I'm not bumped to the business class delta told me that I could move my flight to air france and fly into Paris then Atlanta. I didn't ask for details on that one. However this is one trip I'm willing to take via economy since it may be the last hunt available for a trophy elephant in Botswana in NG41.

Thanks for the replies guys.

DLS, what your trying to tell me is that you know me from MM???? I thought I could leave that inbred site and find some real hunters. I'm really getting tired of the all the fighting and envy. So far I've been staying on africahunting.com

I don't have to worry about my grammar offending someone over there. You of all people know that I'm anything but "proper" hahahahaha

Posts: 54 | Location: NM USA | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stomper:
grammar? got it!

Now what I meant to ask was a question about business class and not first class. Im booked for business class on the trip over but on the return trip September 17 im on the stand-by list.

If I'm not bumped to the business class delta told me that I could move my flight to air france and fly into Paris then Atlanta. I didn't ask for details on that one. However this is one trip I'm willing to take via economy since it may be the last hunt available for a trophy elephant in Botswana in NG41.

Thanks for the replies guys.

DLS, what your trying to tell me is that you know me from MM???? I thought I could leave that inbred site and find some real hunters. I'm really getting tired of the all the fighting and envy. So far I've been staying on africahunting.com

I don't have to worry about my grammar offending someone over there. You of all people know that I'm anything but "proper" hahahahaha

Yes, I do know! But you're still a good guy in my book. By the way, looks like I'll probably be taking my kid to Monroe for an archery elk hunt this fall, just like I did back in the 'spider' year. I'm out... 'nuts. Cool

Posts: 3909 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote