THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    When do you all buy your tickets?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When do you all buy your tickets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Howdy all.

Just wondering, how far in advance do you all generally buy your tickets to Africa from the US; Atlanta to Jo'burg for example? Thanks,

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure you save anything by buying in far advance unless you are using FF miles in which case you need to book WELL in advance. At the same time, if you try to book a week in advance you will get hosed. As a practical matter, once you have booked the hunt, you should book the airline travel to avoid getting blacked out, particularly during the busy months of July and Aug.

The way to save is to go in the second half of Sept, or Oct. The fares come down by 40% then. These offers are usually announced in August.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my July trip tickets back in January, with FF miles.
I tend to want to get things locked down and would have bought them plenty early even without the FF miles.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my summer hunt, I booked in February. My travel agent recommended early booking in order to get the sweet seats in Economy Comfort.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Paul:

I've tried several options . . . 330 days before, 180 days before, 60 days before and 30 days before and the net results were basically the same.

Within the last four years, 6 R/T tickets to Zim have all cost about the same amount, regardless of when purchased.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, that's great information.

In 2006 and 2008 I used Delta Skymiles so I got the tickets as far in advance as possible. For this next hunt I have to pay cash so I'm in new territory.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I have played virtual 'book a hunt' a few times.

Last minute hunt? Pay air fare premium.
Book flight months in advance along with hunt? Pay 'sticker' price for the hunt.

I am sure there is a sweet spot, but I havent been able to find it. Personally, the advantage of a last min deal on a hunt seems to outweigh the 'penalty' you pay for the last min flight. Thats my plan for my next hunt.

YMMV.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I always shop for tickets as far in advance as possible (330 days of using FF miles) then book the hunt according to when I can get the best(or cheapest) tickets.

With FF miles I shop for the Business/first sales and book the trip according to that.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I've purchased airline tickets as few as 30 days out and as early as 6 months out. Seems to be about the same, as Will stated.

The wife and I are heading to Zim for a December hunt. I just purchased our tickets last Friday. The fare was within $100 of what I paid last year, but I purchased those tickets 6 months from departure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell, I buy when I can scrape up the money

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PSmith,
This past May my wife and I took this same route--Atlanta, Johannesburg, Windhoek.
I booked my safari in the middle of August 2012 and purchased my tickets on Delta a few days later. I wanted to make sure I got "Coach Comfort" on the bulk head (Seats 31A &B) I know this was far out, but it was my first safari and I wanted all my "Ducks in a row." I think I saved maybe $200.

MauserK98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I'd say, last minute cancelation hunt, you"ll save enough money for next three flights there.
But then again, most of us are rather meticulous planners when it comes to travel far and paying lotsa money

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, some of you might laugh at this.

Emirates has daily flights to Dar from Dubai, and they apparently are practically fully booked on all flights.

3 years ago we tried booking in June for our flight in late September.

We were put on a waiting list! As the flight was fully booked.

Since then we have been booking our flights from January for dates in September.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
damn, Saeed, if you can't get a "short" notice ticket, the rest of us are in BIG trouble shocker

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13443 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote